March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, August 10, 2020

The Wind BLEW!

Sunday night - the humidity was so thick!  I called Butch out to the porch - I actually think you could smell the sweet odor of corn in the air!  I didn't have much hope - Monday would be near decent enough - for me to get in a ride...

Monday!  We woke to beautiful blue skies, sunshine & slightly more moderate temperatures.  I started chores & let Nika out.  Walking to the office at the west end of the house, I looked out to see a huge, dark, ominous cloud hanging in the NW.  Well - now - I'm thinking a nasty thunderstorm...  NOT!  Within seconds, a HUGE wind hit full force!  It slammed into the house like a runaway train!  I ran for the back door to call Nika in!
The biggest blast had passed - when I took this.
She'd been caught at the far east end of the house & came running - into the wind!  Leaves filling the air, branches sailing by!  At FULL speed now - she was flying - as she made the turn & came up the hill headed for the steps!  The next blast about lifted her up on to the deck!  No steps needed!
Moving on past us~
I took a couple photos - they don't do the Derecho credit!  Offutt Air Force Base clocked it at 68 mph.  It tore one decent sized branch off our Walnut.  Lots of branches were down in the timber, but we kept power.  I had no idea such a thing existed - but I do now!  The weatherman said the storm was 60-miles wide & 260-miles long.

It left, almost as fast as it had arrived. Butch said it hit in Malvern just minutes later.  The sun returned!  All the heavy humidity was blown away!  Fine then!  My ride was still on.
On the trestle - toward Silver City
Butch picked me up & I decided to leave from Agriland & ride my usual section in reverse.  I didn't even think about it - until I was out there - the possibility of trees being down.  There were none, but branches were scattered everywhere.
Remodel of the Pavilion at Silver City!
Making great time to Silver City, I was happy to see the pavilion is getting much needed repairs!  I sure missed the cold coke I usually have before my return trip!  Mary Jo takes Monday's off, so I didn't even get a cold bottle of water!
Speedy, begging for nuts~
Speedy keeps gaining more bad habits - watching me as I at a few peanuts - at least she's not as pushy as Farah can be!
Time Capsule~
Looking forward to the re-opening!
The wind was actually blowing - of course right as me - as I left.  We've decided the wind here - blows whatever direction you don't want it to - or sometimes - all directions at once!  Once back on the trail, it was peaceful & quiet.  I love having it to myself.  I've reminded myself too - all too soon - the greens will be turning gold.  Then - I'll have months - of the great wide-open!
The way back~
The day had warmed & the humidity was climbing.  I was happy to get back to Agriland & more than happy when Butch offered dinner out :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~