March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Challenging Ride ~

 Another of a string of perfect spring days!  How lucky can we be?  Probably the nicest spring weather we've had since our move to Iowa.  Butch met me as I parked the Bronco by his shop.  By 2:30 p.m. I was on the trail & heading south toward Imogene.

One of the many bridges~
For whatever reason, I wasn't quite up to par today.  Later, I realized it was probably because I'd ridden on Monday & hadn't given myself enough time-off.  Regardless, I was looking forward to seeing a section of the trail I've only ridden three or four times.
Perfect quiet~
When I stopped to take an electrolyte, I couldn't help but notice the quiet!  It was so perfectly quiet - I could have heard a pin drop.  With light winds, just the occasional chirping of the birds broke the stillness.
On the White Cloud Trestle~

I'd forgotten about the trestle bridge here.  Slightly shorter than the one over Silver Creek, it's still an amazing tribute to railroad history.  About eight-miles in, another rider passed me.  He looked familiar & sure enough, it was Mari Jo's friend Doug.  We stopped to chat for a few minutes.  He had turned back north, having ridden from Mineola!

Just a mile or so further, the trail maintenance truck was blocking the entire trail, with the drivers side door open.  I was in the middle of the long, hard, uphill grade.  I was just ready to announce my presence, when the gentleman got back in the truck & moved it further up the trail.  Back on Breezy - it was only another half-mile until again - here he was.  This time, he said he would move further ahead.  

At Cottonwood Pass!
Not long after, a road crossed the trail.  The truck was stopped & on the far side was a tractor with the brush blade, cutting the side of the trail.  I skirted by on the drivers side.  With the crest of the hill behind me, it was a relief to be able to make time.  I think I had used every one of Breezy' s gears to make it to this point!
Out on the "flats"~
A Great Blue Heron had taken to the air just as I reached the bridge before this one.  He was huge & he was so beautiful.  As I stopped for a short break, it was only a minute or two until I heard the tractor coming behind me.  He was making good speed out in the open.
Close to town~
By now, I was feeling a bit pushed...  I knew I was only a couple miles out from town & it would be a relief to be off the trail & out of the way...  (I checked the page when we got home, but nothing was mentioned about the maintenance work on this section.)
Rough trail~
For the last several miles, the trail surface looked like this...  Heavily rutted by a tractor tire on the left, piles of loose rock on the right.  It made it technical & more tiring, with my limited depth perception, to find a track for Breezy' s tires.

By the time Imogene was in front of me, I stopped too suddenly & lost control of the bike.  It was a slow motion fall onto my bad knee.  Thankfully - no damage done - to either me - or Breezy.  But, I knew I'd tackled this section a little too soon.  Last time, I'd had over 380- miles under my wheels, this time, not even 200.  I was also amazed Speedy & I had actually done this section round-trip!  I don't think that will happen this season!

I heard the Bronco, as Butch pulled in to pick me up.  We'd decided on dinner at the Emerald Isle.  The only place to eat in town & I was starved!  Now, I've tested myself, I'm going back to being more sensible!  At least for the time being.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~