March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, October 29, 2021

Ode to the Golds~

 After two days of rain & very gray days, the sunshine was so welcome!   With a couple cooler nights, the trees are reaching the height of their color.  I could spend all my time just sitting out.  Such a glorious afternoon, I had to capture the moment.

Long Shadows~

I have spent a lot of it working out.  The soil is so soft, it's easy to pull weeds.  A friend also gave me several of her big healthy rhubarb starts!  The one's we've purchased have never taken hold.  I'm hoping  local plants will do better.  

Looking west~

Now that all the of the bush honeysuckle, with it's green leaves, are gone, the trees take center stage.  The orange of the still blooming marigolds, accent the shades of autumn.  40 mph wind gusts, did take a toll on many of the colorful trees around town.  The wind also managed to take down the biggest of the dead snags at this end of the woods.  It hung up in a smaller tree, but otherwise didn't do any damage.  More work with the chainsaw & more firewood.

Lower Corner~
We're to have at least one more beautiful day, before the temperatures drop & the wind returns.  Next weeks forecast is for the mid-40's.  Chilly, especially if we have wind.
The Owls~

It's been a almost a year now, since I brought these owls home from WA.  I'm planning a trip up north, maybe for the holiday's, but it will depend on Butch's schedule.

Along Tinkle Branch Trail~
Today, I started transplanting some of the daylily's.  One splurge on an expensive variety - Green Inferno - has yet to produce blooms.  My guess, is not enough sun, we'll see if the move helps.
Top of the hill~
Last week I attended a presentation by Shirley Miller, Mills County Master Gardener Coordinator.  Shirley's topic was Iowa Native Flowers.  The slideshow was totally inspiring.  The biggest challenge for me again - is understory shrubs.  We moved the remaining three serviceberry's planted by the Cabin, down to the edge of the woods.  I'm hopeful they'll recover & add some reds in a season or two.

Almost Halloween, October has gone by way too fast!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~