March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Walk-a-bout~

As unusual as gray days are here, we had a couple this week.  Moderate temperatures, no rain, just gray days.  Somewhat of a shock to the system after all the gorgeous, perfect sunshine days.  I hadn't had Nika out on a walk of our woods for a long time & felt guilty about it.  She just loves walks of any sort, but especially when it's the woods.
Timber Trail~
The trail above is the one I used the walnut chips to cover.  When they first went down, I didn't think they would do much good.  But in the last couple weeks, they've settled & make walking much nicer.
The Lowlands~
The far west end, has really changed.  The Creeping Charlie has taken over & I don't mind!  Since I've been mowing, it's spread & chokes out the bigger weeds.  Nika & I enjoyed our little bench too!
View east~
There is a view here now.  Originally the area was mostly overgrown. You can just see the old log with the high end in the photo below.
10-20-2019
Now, with the invasive shrubs gone, the native flowers have been making a comeback.

Great Blue Lobelia~
I sure didn't expect to find the bright blue splash of color along the creek this late in the season!  It's the fourth native wildflower species I've identified.
Looking east toward the back of the Cabin~
With the new mulch on the trail, now it's easier to see the curving path along the bottom of the hillside.
The Marsh, looking west~
The Marsh too, has changed dramatically in the last couple years.  It's more mowing, but so quiet & private.  I've planted hosta's, day lily's & Zinnias'.  The tulip & daffodil bulbs survived & add so much color in the spring.
Kitt's Garden~
This was the second corner I cleared.  We call it Kitt's Garden, because the small birdbath became our dog Kitt's water bowl in the woods of the Homestead.  If it didn't rain enough to keep it full, I had to carry water up to fill it!  We had a creek there too, but you'd have thought it was the only water on the place.

Flowers instead of weeds~
This hillside is still a work in progress.  Flowers I planted that were in full sun, are now in shade & will have to be moved.  The trees have grown & with them, the shade.
Lower garden~
This area is one of my favorites. Tinkle Branch Trail starts here & it's a pretty place year-around.  Here we are, already past mid-October & the color is coming on strong day by day.  My first October home since the clearing was completed March of 2020.  It's easy to enjoy such amazing days, even the gray ones~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~