March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

My Last Ride on Breezy~

  I was determined to get in a ride, before I leave for Seattle.  Determined too, to reach my 600-mile goal for the year on Breezy.  Mari Jo agreed to accompany me.  It was only due to her encouragement - that I got it done!  It wasn't easy, it was darn chilly low 40's & the wind just kept picking  up...

Breezy, ready to go~

It's a Great husband & a Super friend who don't remind you, of past mistakes.  It was a big mistake to buy a bike without riding it.  But, even a short ride at a bike shop, really doesn't tell you how a bike will preform or how you will feel riding it.  That takes time & miles.

Mari Jo, freezing along with me!
I knew I had twelve-miles to ride, to make 600, so we decided on the Hwy 34 underpass.  We were only a couple miles out, when we realized the wind was picking up & the temperature dropping.  

Breezy has been a chore for me to ride...  I was getting so discouraged I was ready to stop riding.  I was thinking my health, or fitness had diminished.  None of my rides on Breezy even came close to matching those I'd done on Speedy.  I blamed my injury, but after a year, I'd hoped to see more improvement.
On the trestle~
It was tempting to stop at the trestle & turn back, but since tomorrow is slated to be in the 30's & I leave Friday, this was the day.
Turn-around point~
The sky looked so ominous.  Mari Jo commented more like December/Winter - than the last of November.  Luckily, we had a lot of news to catch up on!  The conversation sure made the miles go faster!  I don't think I could have accomplished it - without the new low gears.  I was riding in 1,2 & 3 going south.
Looking like winter~

When we turned back...  WOW!  The wind hit us full force!  It was frigid!  We had no choice but to keep on truckin' - but we commented "Crazy" was a true description of us both!  The 12.5 mile ride had taken 2.5 hours.  Not bad when you consider the wind.

I'm excited to announce I'm getting a new bike!  

Cannondale Adventure EQ

When we were waiting for Breezy's cassette to be installed, we walked through the new bikes.  The Cannondale stopped me in my tracks.  It just had the right look!  They had none in my size on the floor, but Bike Rack is such a great shop.  They offered to build up the only small they had left, even knowing it wasn't the model I wanted.  

The first of the week they called, the bike was ready.  I got on & about a split second later was literally flying around the parking lot!  I rode it down the steep little hill, around the lower parking area & back up the hill effortlessly!  Butch said he hadn't seen me so happy riding in ages.  I felt like I could have ridden all day!

The problem, was finding a bike.  I called Cannondale, they said;  "All gone, no more coming."  Butch got on-line, searching with every search engine.  He found one at Gregg's Cycle in the Greenlake area of Seattle.  We confirmed at least three times - it was the bike I wanted in the size I needed.  

Butch said;  "Call Alaska & see what they'll charge for you to bring it home."  I did & made a reservation.  The charge for the bike, is only $40.  Gregg's Cycle explained their policy was to build up the bikes they sell, but they'll put it back in the box for shipment without a charge.

Two wonderful excuses to visit up north again!  Seeing the Grandkids & picking up my new ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~