March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, November 20, 2021

Imogene to Shenandoah ~

 A Perfect!  Totally Perfect day!  Sunshine, mid-50's & no wind!  We'd made too many plans to fit in to the day.  I was so appreciative of Butch's support in taking me to Imogene & dropping Breezy & I off to make the ride south to Shenandoah.  There were no cars parked at the trail head.  I used to know almost exactly how long it would take me to ride a portion of trail.   Now, that time has about doubled since my injury.  I told him to expect me in anywhere from 1+ to 2 hours.

On our way~
It was a totally quiet morning.  On a weekend, farther north, the trail is usually busier than I like.  I hadn't known what to expect - but having it to myself was more than I could have asked for.  This would be the first real test of the new rear cassette.
From the Walnut Creek bridge~
I was a little apprehensive as Butch drove away.  I'd not ridden this section of trail since May of 2020 on Speedy.  I'd left from Malvern & ridden over 23-miles on that day.  I'd also been in great shape, riding a bike I knew would get me there.  From Imogene, it's only nine-miles, but it's a more difficult section of the trail, with a couple steep, long grades.  I had no idea, if the new gears would be what I needed.
Down a beautiful hall of trees~
Soon, my apprehension vanished!  The bike was shifting great, the low gears much more reminiscent of my Townie & useable!  I was working hard enough to remove my coat by the second mile in.
Further along~
March of this year, Butch & I had left from Shenandoah on our Electra's & ridden north on the trail.  It's a brutal uphill grade & we'd worked hard for three-miles, in a stiff wind, before we called it quits & turned back.  I planned to try to text Butch when I reached our turn-around spot, knowing I'd be three-miles out.
At the Pond!
I recognized the road when I came to it & soon after saw the little pond where we'd taken a break.  Now, I was on the downhill portion of the trail, all the way to the flats on the far side of the river.  Here I was, almost to town & still hadn't seen anyone on the trail.  Only one big white tail deer, had stood her ground until I was within a few hundred feet, before jumping away into the timber.
Nishnabotna River Bridge~
I hadn't ridden in two-weeks, but felt pretty good considering.  I used all the lower gears, first worked so well.  I could continue forward, had some bite to the peddles & my legs weren't flying round-n-round.
Breezy at the town sign~
Sportsman's park is such a nice place.  A swimming pool, playground, picnic areas & of course the trail.  I continued to the Train Station & heard Butch call my name as I approached.  He'd enjoyed his two-hours of quiet on a beautiful sunny day.  My speed hasn't been anywhere near as fast I used to ride, but it was my most pleasant ride on the Verve to date.  My stats~  

When I returned, Butch had me ride on the paving in the parking area.  He told me he wanted me to go through every single gear.  I did & it was obvious the lower 9-gears are what I will use now.  The upper gears I made it through, gaining speed with each stroke, but my knees revolted!  I'm sure the top 5 gears  will seldom be used.

Butch & I have been discussing my future enjoyment of the trail.  Things have changed for me since the injury.  My strong leg has become the weaker one - though I'm still hopeful for continued improvement.  I've changed from a bike with more forward pedals, to one with the pedals under the seat.  The frame is definitely too big for me.  When I have to make an unexpected stop, it's difficult to get off the seat & dismount.  Then, of course there's the gearing issues, now resolved.  I may be bike shopping again, looking for something - somewhere between the Townie & the Verve~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~