March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Malvern to Imogene~

After tearing winds most of the week, today was wind free.  The weatherman promised it to be one of the top ten days of the year.  He wasn't wrong!  I hope we have 100 more just like it.
Speedy is not intimidated by size!  :-)
 In Malvern, I parked the Bronco at Agriland.  Butch has given me a parking spot, out of the way of the Big Equipment!  Since I planned a one-way ride, he'd be picking me up at Imogene, my destination.   Leaving Malvern, it's hard to miss the art!  The bike theme alludes to the City considering itself a destination for bike riders on the Wabash Trace Trail.
Wild Plum blooms~
I could smell the plum blooms before I saw them.  A beautiful addition to the rapidly expanding green views.  I didn't leave until 3 p.m.  Butch couldn't get to Imogene until 5 to pick me up.  The map calls it 13.6-miles.  I couldn't imagine it would take me more than two-hours.
Between the bars - The first bridge~
Riding during the week days, I enjoy having the trail to myself.  Heading south from Malvern, farther away from the larger towns, the quiet is wonderful.  Just the singing of the birds & water flowing under the bridges.
Big Sky Country~
Iowa has it's share of magnificent views.  The sky looked huge, leaving the trees of the trail for the road crossing.  I'm still without my Garmin & I miss it.  Since this was a new section of trail to me, I would have preferred to know how far I'd gone & my speed.
Ah...  Green!
Butch told me to slow down, take photos & enjoy the ride.  All of which I did!
Garlic mustard gone amok~ 
Not too many miles out of Malvern, both sides of the trail had been taken over by the horribly invasive Garlic Mustard.  When doing a Google search, the first page to come up - was King County, WA!  This is a weed taking over, in more than one state.  I've pulled the few I've found so far in our timber & marsh.  The second invasive I've learned that is allelopathic - the other being bush honeysuckle.
Speedy on the Trestle Bridge over the west branch of the Nishnabotna River~
This is a big, slow moving river, with a lot of history, as most of our bigger rivers are.  There was a Mill in this area & also a ferry.  Just a short distance further I caught a glimpse of this cute tiny cottage!  What a idyllic place, so close to the river.  The trail today, was a blend of uphill & downhill grades.  The longest of the uphill had me worrying I'd not make Imogene by 5!  With no way to know how much further I had to go - I just kept peddling!
Tiny Country Cottage~
Next, a huge old barn, in the process of crumbling to the ground.  I'm always sad to see these big barns fall, more so than even the farm houses.
Old Barn~
Eventually, I met two mom's pushing baby strollers!  A sure sign town was near!  With a population of only 70+ people, I didn't imagine there would be too much going on.
My destination!
Speedy brought me into town at 5:02 p.m.!  There were picnic tables, fire pits & the grain bin to the left housed restrooms & even showers for the bike riders.  Butch pulled in with the Bronco just a few minutes later.  We'd hoped to order take-out pork tenderloin sandwiches from the Emerald Isle, (Butch had heard they're the best in IA.) but they were closed.

Instead, we drove to Mineola & had the same at Tobey Jacks - eating outside on the picnic tables in the car parking area.  Since it was Thursday & the traditional Taco Thursday night - almost every table was occupied.  All table's were spaced apart & most people honored social distancing.

Butch & I discussed some of the differences we were noticing between bike riders & equestrians...  More than once we had to laugh at some of the outfits.  But considering how fashion in the endurance community has changed - we shouldn't have!  :-)   It was a beautiful ride & perfect end to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~