March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, August 8, 2022

Learning Bike Mechanics~

 Monday's are the day Mari Jo closes the shop & rides her bike.  Today, our schedules worked & we actually got out on the trail!  It was warm, but mid-80's & lower humidity worked for me.  Mari Jo rides in about any heat.

Mari Jo on the Trestle~

There were several riders out on the trail today.  I had manged to move the rear gear guard out of positiion the last time I washed Smokey & Mari Jo noticed & showed me how to re-attach it.  Next, my rear break was squeeking!  I think my over zealous cleaning with the hose had gotten water in the disc's.  With a few more miles & breaking, the noise went away.

Arrriving at the bridge, I asked for a short stop.  What I didn't get - riding with Mari Jo - were pictures!  :-)  I wanted to stop at the park for a break, but the picnic area was full of tents & a large group of boys on bikes.  We nixed that for a quick stop at the depot in town.  

On the way back, for the first time ever, my chain derailed.  Mari Jo had moved in front of me, there was an on-coming rider.  I think I'd tried to shift at the same moment & that's when the chain went thunk!   I stopped instantly & was glad I did, since the chain was already tightly stuck.  Again, Mari Jo came to the rescue & got it unstuck.  She said she's seen it happen to the point it was so bad the bike had to be partly dissasembled, pedals removed etc. to get it free.  Thankfully, mine wasn't that bad.

While we were working on that, another rider from Silver City stopped & told me I'd picked the right person to ride with!  So true!  I'm still learning about bikes & there's more to learn than I thought!  With the chain back in place, we finished the ride.

Now, I'm going to be more careful about where I spray water on the bike & pay attention when I'm shifting!  Lesson's learned!  I'm just so used to riding alone.   I ended up talking Mari Jo out of four huge tomatoes from her garden!  Butch arrived home shortly after I did.  We really enjoyed those fresh tomatoes in BLT's!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~