March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, August 22, 2022

Non-Fun Encounter~

 Another Monday & Mari Jo wanted to get in a ride!  Temperature in the mid-80's & reasonable humidity worked for me.  As usual when riding with Mari Jo, I tried to behave myself & not ask for photo op stops.  

Just as we arrived at the Trestle, we saw one of the trail maintenance vechiles coming our direction from the other end of the bridge.  It was Terry, who stopped to chat with us.  He said the trail was in great shape all the way north from Shenandoah - always good news.  I told him we weren't going That far!  Mari Jo not only knows all of the trail crew, she also knows most of the riders who use the trail on a regular basis. 

Well marked Maintenance Truck~
It was a great day to be out!  We were enjoying the trail, the day & the ride.  In Malvern, we stopped at the Depot for a snack before turning back north.
Taking a break!
On the return to Silver City, we stopped on the trestle at the north end.   We heard something & saw a ATV type vechile coming toward us.  It had a makeshift sunshade & a bunch of miscellanenous items attached, including an animal crate.  We stood our ground.  Mari Jo said she did not reconize the person driving or the vehicle.  As he approached she said;  "This trail is non-motorized only!"  The man responded;  "I'm clearing this trail so you can ride, so get out of my way."  Mari Jo asked if he had talked to Terry & it was obvious this person had no idea who Terry was.  We were walking single file along the side of the bridge, when he went ahead & passed us by.  

Both of us had reached the same conclusion - this looked like a homeless person.  It gave me the creeps & I think he was planning to camp.  We'd only gone another half-mile when we saw his ATV parked off to the left side of the trail by the covered area closest to the bridge.  His small dog was loose on the trail & the man was walking around.  As we approached he held up a large piece of broken glass & said;  "See!  I found this on the trail & saved you a flat tire."  Well - as Mari Jo said - thankfully no one brings glass onto the trail & neither of us have ever found even one small piece.  Continuing on, we didn't see him again.  Mari Jo will report the incident to the trail committee.

All my rides on the trail & I've never encountered a situation where I felt unsafe.  Now, I think I'll be adding a can of bear spray to my pack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~