March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, August 4, 2022

Fresh Air ~

 The weatherman promised us a cooler morning.  The prevaling wind direction had changed from heat coming up from the south, to cooler air moving down from the north overnight.  The humidity dropped & the air had a fresh smell.  The day was to warm again into the 90's by afternoon, so I loaded Smokey for an early than usual ride.

As I was leaving Silver City I heard the sound of a heilcopter & stopped to take his picture has he flew across the trail.

Heilcopter above~
He seemed to be moving off to the east as I entered the shade of the trees.  It was so cool & so nice, but I knew it wouldn't last long.  About that time, the sound of the chopper became defening!  I was coming to the first of the three clearings with views of the fields, so pulled off & walked over to get a photo.  I didn't expect to see him coming parallel with the trail & SO close!  
Crop spraying soybeans~
I snapped the picture - ran for Smokey & peddled as fast as I could - trying not to breathe while staying  ahead of the sprays drift.  Thankfully, he again turned to the east in just a couple hundred feet.  We have so few days without wind, I'm sure the pilots take advantage of them.
Under the canopy of the Walnuts~
I was relieved when the sound of the heilcopter faded off into the distance!  The quiet of the morning returned.  I passed a few other riders out enjoying what was left of the mornings fresh air.  The trail surface is again - so dry it's cracking open in places.  Of course the ground in my woods at home is cracking too.  At least in the places where the moles haven't dug it up!
On the Trestle~
I took my time today, it's always so refreshing just to be out.  I love the quiet of the Trestle & songs of the birds.  The Cardinals were pretty active too, the last of the ripe mulberries are enjoyed by all  the birds.
Farms & farmland~
On the south side of the Hwy 34 underpass is this beautiful view.  The green, greens of cultivated crops & the blue of the summer sky.
Bohner Pond
I rode in to the Depot, then around a few blocks of town, admiring all the flowers & vegtable gardens!  (I did plant a sad looking tomato this year.  He was the last Earl May had when I was there.  I've babied it & now it's big, healthy & blooming!  I'm hoping for fresh tomatoes before the end of the season!)

When I told Mari Jo of my new rest area at the pond, she informed me the pond has a name!  A family was camped across the way.  A darling little girl was riding her tiny bike with her brother, while the mother pushed a baby stroller with two more small children!  The little girl had flowers on her bike, flowers on her handlebar bag, helmet & was wearing a beautiful floral summer dress!  Talk about style!  I complimented her on her beautiful bike!  Dad was fishing & had just caught a really nice bass!
Back to the trail~
Turning back for Silver City, the day was warming by the minute.  I didn't waste much time & hoped to beat the worst of the heat.  
Silver Creek~
The river is still running at it's normal summertime level, I'm thankful for that, since the creeks that feed into it, are almost dry.
Happy Trails~
I went inside the shop to cool off & talk with Mari Jo before leaving for home. With no grocery store in town, Mari Jo stocks, drinks, snacks & ice cream treats!  A group of kids came in from the library & had a tough time deciding between chips & candy bars!  They were excited that the fire dept. was turning on the hydrant's.  By the time I was leaving, they were splashing in the cold water!  I love seeing kids be kids in small town Iowa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~