March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Fall in the Air~

 At around 8 p.m. tonight - fall officially arrives.  The weather the last two-days has been exceptional,  especially after our Tuesday of record breaking heat.  Yesterday, our Garden Club group took a trip to Kimmel Orchards in Nebraska City.  A hay ride, tour of the facility & shopping made for a day of fun. 

Kimmel Orchards
Today, was a nice as fall weather can be!  Cool, mid-60's, overcast & no wind made it the perfect day to try my luck.  I planned to ride from Mineola north to Council Bluffs on the trail.
Bridge over Keg Creek~
I hadn't ridden this section of trail all the way to Council Bluffs since April of 2020.  I do ride it from Mineola to Margeritaville & back.  It's one of my favorite rides in the fall & colder months.  The 8-mile round-trip isn't bad when you climb the grade on the way there, then get to enjoy the downhill on the way back.
Keg Creek~
It's such a pretty area with some really nice, more territorial views than the section south from Silver City I usually ride.
"Cowboy Pass"~
Always bitter-sweet too, since the six-miles south of Council Bluffs is the only section where horses are allowed.  It was one of the places Farah & I rode often.  We'd even gone all the way from Mineola north, before we realized the rest of the section of horse trail had been abandoned & was totally overgrown.
Margeritaville~ 
Margeritaville had new refuse containers, new flags & was looking very picked up for nearing the end of the biking ride season.  I didn't stay long, as I had no idea how long it would take me to get to Council Bluffs. 
Underpass - Council Bluffs~
I was moving right along!  Doing a really nice speed & even coasting in spots.  I'd forgotten this section is one that reverses the usual 3% uphill grade going north & downhill grade going south.  Here, Margeritaville is pretty much at the summitt of the hills & from there, you're droping down into Council Bluffs.
Trail-head, Council Bluffs~
Arriving at the northern most trail-head, I'd covered the ten-miles in under an hour.  As usual, the smell of cooking food coming from Tastee Treet was so tempting!  I'l learned my lesson the first time I'd done this though!  Having a root beer freeze, then riding the uphill grade back was not fun!  
A stop at Tastee Treat!
I bought some smoked brisket for my dinner & ended up tieing it to my pack on the back of the bike.  I just had a tiny cup of the Dole Watermellon soft serve!  
Going back was a bit of work, but not difficult.  Especially since I've been riding all summer.  There were more riders on the trail than I usually see, but I'm sure the wonderful weather contributed.
On the way back to Mineola~
The cloud cover rolled in again & the temperature felt like it had dropped.  Two groups of H.S. cross country kids were running on the trail & the tractor was out cutting the bush back along the sides.  The fumes from the tractor were no fun, I felt for the kids running.  I had an opportunity to pass & took it. 
Mineola, under it's canopy of trees~
Besides dodging all the walnuts, the last four-miles of downhill was as fun as I remembered!   I love the view of town, even when the townsite is obscured by trees.  A totally different view, dependent on the time of year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~