March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Mineola to Council Bluffs - RT ~

I'm back to watching the weather, as I did all the years I was riding a horse!  Today dawned another stunner.  Low humidity & mild winds - perfect for getting out on the Wabash trail.

I drove the Bronco to Mineola, where I was surprised to find the trail-head parking almost full - mid-day on a week day.  I shouldn't have been, with so few people working.  Lifting Speedy off the bike rack is a chore, she weighs more than my saddle!
Annoying riders~ 
There was an older couple ready to leave just after I did.  It wasn't long until I couldn't help but hear very loud, obnoxious music coming from behind me!  I pulled off & the couple thanked me as they went by.  If someone wanted to enjoy the quiet of the trail, it wouldn't be anywhere in this couple's vicinity!  Even when I took the above photo - I could still hear the music!  I caught back up to them a couple times & stopped again to gain quiet distance.
At Farah & my favorite spot~
This was the first time I'd been on this section of the trail, without being with Farah.  It was certainly bittersweet.  I'm out on the trail, but completely on my own now...  Without the companionship of my mare.  She & I used to enjoy this section so much.
12-18-17 With Farah~
My goal, was Tastee Treat!  About the time I saw the mileage marker for the last half-mile, I could smell the food!  Still open for business, but take-out only of course.  I just had to have a small root beer freeze!  I sat in the shade & sipped it slowly.
Speedy didn't want anything~
I'd been a little late getting on the trail, leaving Mineola at 1:54 & arrived here at 2:56.  The most accurate map I've found calls it 9.6 miles.  Past Margaritaville, the trail one section was almost flat - nice.
To report "trespassing" call the Sherriff!
As I started back, it wasn't long until I wished I hadn't had that frostie...  I was distracted by all the new signs! As if horses are an issue?!  Not!  Even when I was out here a lot with Farah.  The neighboring landowners would often mention - I was the first horseperson they'd seen on the trail in forever!
More signs!
There was a sign at literally every intersection!  As for dogs?!  Here too, invisible leashes are the rage!   My brother & I first noticed them as we hiked Mt. Sanitas, outside Boulder in 2010.  At one point, two riders were ahead of me & a young boy with a huge dog, holding him by only the collar.  The dog got visibly agitated as the two riders went by.  Great, I'm next...  In my friendliest voice I said;  "Hi" to the boy.  Hearing me speak seemed to defuse the dog somewhat & I peddled on by.  Some people would even apologize - as I waited while they tried to catch their dog or dogs.
Beautiful creek~
I was thankful - I knew those last four-miles were a downhill grade!  No more frostie's for me, when I've got ten more miles to ride!  It was so beautiful out & I only ran into a few riders heading the other direction.
View of Mineola~
I stopped one last time, at a new commemorative, bench to get this photo of Mineola.  I was just a mile out from the trailhead when suddenly I saw a long piece of corn husk flying through the air in front of me.  Since I can't see on the right, I'd missed the formation of a dust devil on the recently plowed field, to the right of the trail.  No turning your rear to the wind on a bike...  I squinted my eyes almost shut & kept on peddling, just managing to keep Speedy upright.

Back by 4:20, I'm going to call it 20-miles.  I'm told it's considered one of the more difficult sections to ride.  I still need to put a call in to Garmin!  I missed hearing those miles buzzing away so quickly!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~