March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Development along the Trail~

 A day of moderate temperatures & no wind!  I should have taken the bike out, but instead I decided to walk Finnigan.  We went to our favorite park in Malvern for the second time in just a few days.  On this afternoon though - the sound of heavy equipment - close by - interrupted the usual quiet.  It seems development - anywhere - is always determined to take their property right to the very limits of the survey.  The word "buffer" isn't in their vocabulary...

As we turned onto the trail, the sound became intense & Finnigan was scared.  We'd only walked a short distance & I could see a track hoe just a few feet away.  The operator was busy knocking down a tree.  The sound of trees going down is awful - at least to me.  Anywhere, but especially where there are so few.  

Dirt Moving~
The development area is much larger than I originally thought.  It seems to cover both the north & south sides of West 11th street.  With all the noise, it was far from the usual quiet walk in the country.  At least through the first quarter mile or so.

The wide-open views~
Soon, even walking, we outdistanced all the noise.  It was a relief to us both!  The sky was the beautiful hazy gray/blue color of the upcoming winter months.  Still without any snow, it's so strange to still be enjoying such warm, moderate weather.
Just north of Jahnke Road - looking south the way we'd come ~
I had the Garmin today & at this point it read 36:36 for our time & 1.35 miles.  Finnigan had really kept up a nice pace, averaging between 3.1 all the way up to 4.0.  My legs are not at all happy with walking & would prefer peddling along on the bike.  It's been 20-years since the implants in my right femur & 3-years since the repairs to my left tibial plateau. (I loved every minute of those 30-years of riding, but the price has been steep.)
Finn on point!
On our way back, I could see a couple with a large pit-type dog ahead of us.  They were huddled off to the side of the trail & the dog was on alert.  I picked Finn up as we approached & they said, "Sorry".  I didn't know for what & didn't want to find out.  (I've started carrying my riding stick, but had forgotten it today.)  I told them Finn was recently from the shelter & scared of most everything.  They replied they had picked their dog up from the shelter too.  We continued on without incident.
Recognizable name & from my hometown~
Back at the pond, we stopped again & admired the last day of the fall season.   As we returned to the Explorer & passed by the jetty, I paused to actually read the sign!  I was so surprised to recognize the name & town of the Foundation who had provided funds for the project.

I called Butch & he's on his way Home!  Always the best news ever!  Later in the afternoon he sent me a photo of a blown-out drive tire.  The truck was soon in the Love's repair bay & he only lost an hour's drive time.  (I appreciated the all-new tires he had on Traveler...)  It will still be a big push for him to make it home tomorrow, 650-miles worth!  But if anyone can do it, it's my husband!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~