March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, December 10, 2023

Finnigan's Run-a-bout~

 Sunday started out sunny & beautiful, if chilly!  Mari Jo & I were meeting for a walk on the trail.  I hadn't told her about Finnigan yet.  She & Gracie arrived at the shop parking ready to go.  I told her to wait a second, I had a surprise!  

Finnigan & Gracie meet!
Finn jumped out of the car very excited to meet Gracie!  Gracie was very interested in meeting Finnigan too!  (I know she had expected Nika.  The two of them had an understanding but weren't exactly friends.)  Both Gracie & Finnigan showed an equal amount of curiosity toward the other & neither backed down a bit!  Finn having been an intact male until his capture & now four - he'll retain those characteristics.
Gracie & Finn heading north~
We were out of town a short distance when a tall man with a large Weimaraner came up behind us.  We moved off to the side to let him pass.  We continued on & had just reached the limestone, a mile from town when the man & dog were returning our direction.  They were about 50 feet away when Finnigan just went nuts!  He whirled in a circle, jumped, pulled backward & slipped his collar!  All in less than a split second!  He'd caught me totally off-guard!

He took off at full speed back the way we'd come.  He ran until he was almost out of sight & stopped - turning back to look at us. (Thankfully the man with the dog stopped too.)  I really wasn't too worried at that point - I really thought he'd come right back to me.  I started walking toward him & called his name.  He ran further away!  I tried twice with the same result!  Mari Jo asked me to take Gracie, she was going to give it a try.  She moved toward him & again he ran a short distance further away!  I warned her not to push him further.  She got down on one knee, called his name & said the magic words; "Do you want a cookie?"  

It worked!  He ran toward her!  But - about 50 feet away - he stopped cold.  He looked at her, then looked at me - standing behind her off to the side.  He ran past Mari Jo & straight to me!  He was shaking all over & wanted me to pick him up!  I did!  I was SO Happy he'd come back!  

The man said his dog, a female, did not like other dogs, so I thought maybe Finn had sensed that?  He asked how long I'd had him?  When I replied less than a week & Finn had come from a shelter, he was amazed.  He congratulated me on Finn's returning to me after such a short time together.
On our way back to town!
We let the man go ahead of us, then started back.  Finn was nervous & kept looking back over his shoulder.  When another couple came walking toward us, without a dog, Finn came to me & wanted me to pick him up again.  He was trembling in fear.  I just couldn't figure it out.  

On our way home I stopped at Bomgaars & found a harness that fit. Later I looked at Amazon & saw a video of a dog pulling out of a harness!  Now, I've ordered an "escape proof" type harness that will be here tomorrow.  I told Butch what happened.  He thinks Finn was probably chased more than once during his time on the streets & no longer trusts people.  I think he's right!
Finn in his new harness~
I was so proud of my boy!  It took a lot of courage for him to return to me, as scared as he was.  I hadn't really considered what all he probably went through before I found him.  I will have cookies in my pocket from now on when we walk!  He had several when we returned home!  I chose him at the Shelter & now he has chosen to be with me.  My heart is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~