March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Walk from the Pond~

 A bright sunshine day, after two days of gray & a little drizzle we'll call "rain".  Our total was .22 - it did get the ground wet - but that was about it.  I've wanted to get the bike out, but with 30 mph wind gusts - Lake Manawa didn't sound too appealing.  

Instead, I decided we'd drive to the little park in Malvern & walk the concrete portion of the Wabash, north toward Silver City.  The park is where I take my break when riding my bike.  (The limestone trail surface is deep into the freeze/thaw cycle now & not rideable).  We were the only ones there.

Finn - ready to go!
Amazon delivered Finnigan's new escape proof harness late last night.  I tried it on & the fit was just right.  A good excuse to go for a longer walk.  We'd gone out with Mari Jo & Gracie for the second time on Friday.  I forgot my phone, so no photos of us, walking in the cold drizzle with two very muddy dogs!  Mari Jo had tempted me to make the drive - with sugar cookie fudge & homemade rolls! 
Around the pond~
Today, was ever so much nicer!  Finn was on a mission - to mark every large tree.  Thankfully, there are only a couple!  We've been walking every day at home.  By about 3:30 Finn makes it obvious - it's time for his walk by standing halfway between the kitchen & the back door.  We walk the entire place & end up in the Cabin.  I turn up the heat & he sleeps on my lap while I listen to my audio book for a while before going back to the house for his dinner.

This dog would be gone in a flash, chasing a squirrel, bunny etc. if he were off leash.  A squirrel had run across the trail right in front of us on Friday & he about took me with him!  His kennel cough is gone now, he's gained a pound & is enjoying life.
Where's Finn? - Perfect camouflage!  
He blends in perfectly with the colors of the late fall landscape!  It's almost impossible for me to see him until he moves!  I was so used to Nika's wheaten color standing out against anything but snow.
Our turn-around at Jahnke Rd.
I'd forgotten to wear my Garmin.  I'm going to next time & keep track of Finn's miles on the trail.  We were just over a mile north of Malvern & at the end of the concrete. (I've entered our first three walks, manually.)
Heading back~
We made a stop at a corn field & hadn't been there more than a minute or two when Finn pounced on something in the field grass!  A second pounce & his nose went in up to his eyes.  Not wanting to continue on with him carrying a catch.  I pulled him back!
Ready to pounce!
Back at the pond, we took advantage of one of the benches to soak in the warmth of the late afternoon sunshine, before leaving.
Finnigan's profile~
The days are so short now, with the sun so low in the southern sky.  I'll be much happier to be on uphill side of the winter solstice.

We sat for a few minutes, before he jumped down - turned towards me & starting barking.  It was obvious he was ready to go home!  He knew where the Explorer was & led me right to it.  Such a smart guy!  

(Adopt-a-Pet offered us a free gift.  I took the dollars off a DNA kit & ordered it.  I'm looking forward to seeing what different breeds make up our cute, smart & opinionated dog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~