March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

First Visit to Lauritzen Gardens~

The day was brisk, cold, but so sunny & beautiful!  I enjoyed my first Garden Club Christmas Luncheon & Party!  Everyone was to bring a gift they'd made.  What wonderful gifts they were!   I'm excited about going to the monthly meetings this coming year & the many tours on the schedule!

Later in the afternoon, I was invited to go to Omaha with Clara, Debbie & Barb to visit Lauritzen Gardens!  I still can't get over driving without traffic.  Taking the time to enjoy the city, have dinner & return home, all minus traffic snarls.  It reminds me of the old days in Seattle...
Late afternoon sunshine & light ice on the pond~
After a short drive, we arrived just as the sun was setting.  The large greenhouses are tucked into a hillside, somewhat protected from the north winds.  Once inside, the colors of the season were on full display.
Poinsettia Tree~
This Poinsettia tree was easily four times the size of the one's I've enjoyed at Molbacks for many years.  So stunning to see the vibrant red color!  High ceilings contributed to the feeling of grandeur.
Lights & decorations~
Everywhere we looked - was a delight to the senses!  I was happy to have been included!  Around every turn, were more beautiful displays.  Many included the huge tropical plants.
A tropical paradise~
Once inside the Arboretum - the sound of running water greeted us. There seemed to be water everywhere!  Streams flowing, fountains & pools of water full of colorful carp.
Beautiful planter from the last century~
We seemed transported - to a warmer winter climate.  The volunteers & staff do such a beautiful job decorating.  Holiday lighting added cheerful brightness to the scene.
The arbor area~
Birds of Paradise were blooming!  So were the geraniums & even orchids.
The Palms~
My favorite though - was the Banana Trees!  My first time seeing them in person.  They were So large & had such presence!  Something I didn't expect - but walking through the grove made me imagine what it would be like in a jungle!  I thought of how my friend Petra, had enjoyed her tropical excursions.
huge leaves!
We all agreed that thatching a roof with these huge leaves would be a relatively easy project!
With lights!
Each display had a magical quality.  We visited the gift shop - full of items for holiday gift giving.
Bright reds!
It was amazing to me, that just on the other side of these walls, the temperature was dropping into the teens!  A tropical paradise on one side, cold mid-west Winter on the other!  I definitely want to bring Butch for a visit.  Season passes are very reasonable.
Perfect!
Simplicity sometimes rules - as this wreath perfectly demonstrates!  Finally - it was time to walk back out into the cold of the night.  We stopped for dinner before heading home & still arrived just after 7 p.m.  Butch had taken the lights we'd used on the Cottage & put them all the way across the front of the house!  A welcome holiday surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~