March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Putting the "Twinkle" back in Tinkle Branch Creek~

We were so used to having a creek run through our property in Washington.  We felt extremely lucky our new home in Glenwood, borders a nice little creek.  We were having breakfast at The Gathering Place one morning when a neighbor came in.  Introducing herself - she told us the little stream had a name, Tinkle Branch Creek!  (Thank you Courtney for the twinkle idea!)
Our view of the creek area~
Today was just too beautiful!  Another day in the same week, where the temperature reached a wonderful 50+ degrees!  We should have walked, but instead drove to the Gathering Place for conversation & lunch, before returning home.  Butch is working on the walls in the master bath - I'd planned to work opening all our boxes of books & getting them in the bookcases.  Instead, I grabbed my loppers & walked down to the creek.
Catbrier or Greenbriar  -Both short tiny & long thorns~
We have these nasty vines.  The only plant I've tangled with so far, with both thorns & tendrils.  The tendrils wrap them selves around anything they come in contact with.  I had a rude surprise the first time I grabbed one to pull it out of a tree.  I didn't see the tiny, sharp thorns!  It grows in a clump, sending out several shoots - similar to blackberry.  The new growth is thread thin & weaves tendrils into other shrubs - making it difficult to spot - until it sticks you!  I pulled one out over ten-feet long!
This shows the green of the thorn covered vines, weaving through the shrubs.
Even once I had them cut at the base, it was very difficult to pull them out of the other bushes.  I wanted to get them cut back as much as I could...
Dumping ground~
The banks of the creek have been used as a dumping ground for anything whoever was too lazy to haul away.  Once the leaves were gone, I could see the trash.  I'd tried to get down & pull some out - but everything was frozen to the ground.   With the fence due to go in one of these days, it would be easier to get the stuff hauled out now.
Reed Canary Grass~
The Reed Canary Grass here too, does it's best to choke out the natives along the banks of the creek.  I hope to keep it cut back & eventually see what native plants I might get started here.
My final collection of trash for the day!
By the time the sun was getting lower in the sky, the temperature was dropping with it & I'd had enough!  We ended up with quite a collection to haul away!  Butch said I might want to re-do the fabric on the glider frame?  I don't think so!  :-)  Nika's favorite find was a deer skull with antlers!

It's a start! I hope in a few years I'll have photos to post - showing the changes we've made. Time will tell~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~