March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Best Laid Plans~

Sometimes things seem to go astray... 

After our ride yesterday - I came home & compared Farah's training ride stats & recoveries from 2015 & 2016 to what we've done so far this spring.  They were better!  Every time I think of doing an endurance ride, I worry that I haven't done enough.  Then, Farah shows me that indeed we have.  What we do is straight line consistent & we've been doing it for a lot of years now.   I don't follow the fads, first it was trotting, lots of trotting.  Now it's galloping, lots of galloping.
Farah  - yesterday~
 Instead, we mix it up, we do what we do & we've learned to do it well.  She's a gifted animal & I'm blessed to have her.  Strong, without issues & smart enough to take good care of herself.  Dean taught me to ride smart & I do my best to follow his principals.  We keep to a maintenance schedule & don't change what works.
5-16-16 Victoria, WA
If anything - she's bulked up a little.  More muscle, more strength & it's getting harder & harder to make her sweat :-)  Even here.  Both of us have really been enjoying our speed work.  I'm a firm believer in talking to your horse.  I've let her know I'm planning a ride - our first here & how much fun we were going to have.
5-14-15 Washington Wetland~
Not...  The vision in my right eye went completely away last evening.  It was no better this morning.  I ended up spending the morning at the optometrist.  After a battery of tests, (when you can't even see the bright light...) the verdict wasn't the one I wanted.  :-(

Tomorrow is Omaha - surgery to hopefully repair my retina.  Since a good result is what I'm praying for - I don't want to ask what the recovery period is.  I do know it will probably be longer than the week I have before the ride.  

But, friends have managed to keep me laughing & there will be other rides.  Still - I'm feeling the disappointment~

2 comments:

  1. There will ALWAYS be more rides. Disappointment is a hard part of life and not easy to accept.....I KNOW. I'm glad there is a fix for the problem and it's being taken care of. You'll be on the mend in no time with another endurance ride in the making.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~