March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, May 11, 2018

Changeable ~

The difference a day makes.  When the thunder rolled & rain hit last night - it was a welcome sound to most everyone.  Our dry spring has continued, the string of 80+ degree days finally broken today.  After Kay's bible study this morning, I picked up a few more bedding plants in town.  I was taking the wheelbarrow through the gate, when Nika raced up & squeezed through.  I'm long beyond worrying about her.  I'd just finished up - when she came near enough - I managed to grab her.

Once out at the farm, Farah met me in a huff...  Not much wind, but she was ready to get out & go.  So was I.  The cool day & light breeze were about as pleasant an afternoon as I could imagine.
The Farm laced with green~
I decided to stay closer in today - the weather looked like rain & I'd forgotten my jacket.  On the far side of the timber & saw the blooms on the Mulberry!  Janice was right!  There are a lot of Mulberry trees & I can't wait for their fruit to ripen!
Mulberry Blooms~
We started up one of the climbs to the west, when Farah suddenly spooked & 180'ed.  I lost my inside stirrup & only just managed to retain my seat.  A deer had jumped up almost under our noses - but come on...  A deer?  I made it clear - any more spooking at deer would not be tolerated!
Grass~
Farah makes it plain, terribly plain, the main thing on her mind is grass!  It's that time of year & I do try to be tolerant.  Once we can put her out on pasture, this will change.  
Our dirt road~
It only took a few strides to know our dirt running road was way to wet to rumble~  Farah was slipping even at a walk.  Her shoes would compact with the dirt & then it was like walking on ice.  She didn't even ask to run, smart mare she is.
View from above~
The texture to the landscape this time of year is so intriguing.  Still corn stubble, then the newly disked & planted fields below.  Other's turning green with whatever's been planted.  We watched as a hawk circled overhead, then dove down into a terrace after game.  It started to sprinkle, the air filled with negative ions & smelled so rich & earthy.
Farah spots Dean~
Even from this distance, Farah stopped to watch as Dean went to the chicken coop.  I yelled, but he didn't see us until we were closer.  The Grainery is such a beautiful building, viewed from any direction.  The Martin Silo is one of the very few I've seen & Farah's little barn makes a nice touch of color against a drab, gray sky.
Beautiful~
 Dean came down to talk as I was unsaddling Farah.  She was paying no attention, just grabbing every mouthful of grass she could - when Dean tossed a small rock on to the pile at the side of the gate.  In a split second she jumped, hit the side of my face with her nose & knocked me back into the side of the Bronco.  The next instant, she felt the Ziploc of carrots in my hand slam up against her nose!  Tit for tat!  I mentioned to Butch that his animals were in rare form today...  He blamed the weather!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~