March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Omaha Farmer's Market ~

The Heat is ON!  The next few days, we're scheduled to break records for heat!  It's all Linus's fault for saying something like;  "We'll spring from spring right into summer."  Well...  that's just what's happened.  It's good to have someone to blame :-)

We were up at the crack of dawn to try to beat the heat - for our first visit to the Omaha Farmer's Market!  I was prepared with eye drops & about every set of glasses I own.
Butch & Linus, just after 8 a.m.
All the old brick buildings are reminiscent of the Pike Place Market in Seattle, but this market is smaller, not commercialized & full of farm fresh produce.  There were several bakeries represented & that of course - was our first stop!  I can't even describe the size of the pecan roll & managed to eat!  I was so busy consuming it that I forgot to get a picture!
Yes!  Those are radishes!
From fresh huge stalks of rhubarb, to leeks, green onions, asparagus & of course the biggest radishes I've ever seen!   My attention was caught by a vendor selling smoothies. When I saw they were made with Aronia berries - I had to try one.
I'll be using this!
Tom of Meristem Farm & Nursery explained that these berries had a very different taste from a blueberry, but that they pack three times the antioxidant punch!  I asked if I could try just a berry first.   When Butch & I bit into one, Tom jumped back!  :-)  To say that they have a dry, not quite bitter but extremely bold taste is an understatement!
Tom on his bicycle powered blender!
My smoothie was made with apple juice, Greek yogurt, a drop of lemon & the berries.  It was good!  I think I'd add a drop or two of stevia just for a little more sweetness.  We'll be going to his farm to pick up some bushes & I plan to grow them.  The soils here are too alkaline for blueberries.
Peonies~
The colors of the Peonies were just amazing!  Many homes plant them in rows along the front walkways as edging.  I have my first, a gift from a friend & I'm waiting to see what color it blooms.  I want to find some of the reds!
Inside shops~
We toured a few of the inside shops, then my favorite - Overland Sheepskin.  Totally beautiful leather jackets, purses, rugs, etc.  I place where I could spend way too much money.  We'd hardly been there a minute when Butch said;  "There go the mounted police officers!"  I looked & they were already past the store.  I ran outside & started up the street, trying to get ahead of them for a picture.  Dodging people on the sidewalk slowed me down, they were setting a good pace!
Omaha Mounted Patrol~
Finally, after jogging after them for several blocks, I managed to get the officers attention at an intersection. They were kind enough to pose for a photo! I asked about the heat & they responded that they get the horses out during the cooler morning hours - then do their barn chores in the afternoon.  The palomino is the new guy on the team :-)

Returning to Glenwood, the temperature is currently hovering at 99, so things are pretty quiet around town.  Thankful for AC!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~