March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

A Long Way Down ~

The sunshine was breaking out of the clouds as I was leaving Duvall.  The drive to the farm was easy.  I had just moved Farah's tack out to the Highlander - when Linda arrived with her truck & trailer.  We loaded Farah & were off to Victoria.
Our rigs, Barb on Kelly~
Barb met us there.  The clouds had won over the sunshine.  Perfect day for riding & I was looking forward to seeing those views.   Barb had Kelly, Scott's handsome Morgan, out for a tune-up.  Not that he needs one - I've admired him for years.
Kelly :-)
Linda was riding Kody, who's matured & seems even stouter than last time I'd seen him.  It was our first ride together since before Butch & I moved.  With Linda in the lead, we took some of the beautiful trails, everything so green & lush.
Linda & Kody~
Barb & Kelly were fine with brining up the rear.  If Kelly wasn't, Barb made sure he was :-)  Farah wanted to lead, Linda acquiesced, but Kody wasn't happy with her pace.
In the deep greens~
We broke out into a cleared area, newly cleared, as you can see from the stacks of logs.
Heading up~
When we came to an intersection, as is my way, I'd ask;  "Right or left?"  As we climbed up the first ridge area, the views were clear, all the way to Mt. Erie.
11:43 a.m. Farah admires the view~
Barb cut blackberry vines with her big loppers, the trail was getting overgrown.  I didn't recognize it, we started dropping down the steeper part of the trail.  I still didn't know where were were - until I rounded the corner & saw The Bridge...

(Linda calls it the Wobbly Bridge Trail).  I've hated this particular bridge since a horse broke through a support beam & fell years ago.  Linda has corrected me on the semantics of my original description of the bridge.  First, the bridge has shingles on most of the surface, therefore "is not slippery."  Second, the horse mentioned, "survived with scrapes".  Linda also offered an explanation of the wobble.  To be honest, I don't care...  Regardless, I refused to ride over it any time we came near.  (Especially after Farah & I had fallen off a different bridge in 2014 & walked away mostly unharmed.)

It was a serious error of judgement on my part, to go across.  It was wet, had cracks running the length & was slanted to the downhill side.  I was not aware - it also had a wobble.  In the lead, I dismounted & told my companions I would walk Farah across.  Normally, a mistake, but once you've gone off one of these mounted...  well...  My little man was jumping around wildly in my brain...  I said a prayer...

With Farah on my blind side - we did just fine - until - about 2 feet from the end, Farah's left front foot "slipped.  I'll change the word "slipped" to "fell" - into one of the parallel cracks.  Her shoulder went into mine - pushing me right off into mid-air.  

My left foot hit & it hit HARD!  Nothing to grab to save myself, the leg absorbed the terrific impact & tangled in blackberry & tall grass.  My knee twisted & the rest of my upper body slammed down into the creek bed, helmet last.  My prayer was answered.  As I assessed my situation I noticed - a huge clump of cut, dried blackberry canes, flush against my right side.  On my left - at my waist - was a sharp piece of cedar - imbedded in the dirt.  I'd fit cleanly between the two.

I let Farah's reins go, she walked on off the far side of the bridge & stopped.  Discussion ensued.  Linda had to cross the bridge to get to Farah.  As she rode Kody across over me, I prayed he would stay on his feet.  Meanwhile, Barb got down in the ditch with me, working to cut my leg loose.  It was bent at a 90 degree angle & would not straighten.  Once the leg was free, Barb massaged my calf & I began trying to straighten the leg.  I slid my heel maybe an inch at a time, until the leg was straight.

Next challenge, getting me back up on the bridge.  I put on my leather gloves, started moving my hips & Barb put her arms around me from behind.  Jokes ensued!  :-) Once I was somewhat up - she lifted as I grabbed the edge of the bridge & levered up to a sitting position.  I used my good leg to get to my knees.  Barb again had a strong hold on me from behind, while I put my arms around Linda's neck for support & stood!  My idea - of course - had been to ride out.  When I tried to move the leg, it was totally loose from the knee down :-(  Linda tossed a jacket on the ground, I turned & sat!
Hole on the far side, where I went off ~
Linda called 911 & rode on - to lead the EMT's up to our position.  What a blessing we had cell phone service!  Farah couldn't see us from where Linda had tied her, Barb moved her closer to us.  Once there - she settled down - her eyes as big as saucers.  I had Barb give her a carrot.

Barb & I expected to have a long wait ahead, but Linda had told us we were blessedly close to an access road.  Barb broke open our lunches.  I used her ice pack to support under my knee.  It seemed like no time at all & we were hearing vehicles & voices!  The Mt. Vernon Fire Dept. Emergency Response Unit had arrived & it was only about 1:15 pm!

The team introduced themselves - excited to use their new Mega Mover - to transport me down the narrow trail :-)   The worst part, for me, was getting the IV started :-(   It wasn't too far until we were at the closest point to the ambulance.  Once inside - it was another bumpy ride to Skagit Valley Hospital in Mt. Vernon.
11:48, Kelly figures it's an early lunch break!
Linda met me there & stayed until I got the Doctor's report.  I'd called Butch & Courtney.  After a Covid test, a contrast was done on my leg.  I'd mentioned from when I was first asked, my calf muscle & under my knee felt huge, hard & so very painful...  Surgery wasn't scheduled until the following day at 2 p.m.
Our short ride~
I told Linda to go home & told Courtney to stay home.  Nothing either of them could do.  That night - was probably the worst of my life.  The pain came in wave after wave - unrelenting.  I begged the nurse for narcotics...  She made call after call - the Doctors did not respond.  She even tried massage & was about in tears herself.

Morning - I had not passed out. Meds were added to my iv fluids.  I remember being told surgery would take about 2+ hours.  Courtney said later she & Butch were at wits end - by well after 6 pm - when they finally received the news I was out of surgery.

I'd sustained a Tibial Plateau Fracture VI.  The surgeon described it as "shattered".  My calf had developed Compartment Syndrome - which had gone undiagnosed & could have resulted in the loss of my leg.  The leg had a pump attached to hoses, to remove all the fluid build-up.  It would remain in for three-days - until my second surgery Sat. the 26th.  Only two-hours this time - to close things up.

Staff at the hospital were concerned about my heart.  I asked if it had remained stable & the reply was yes...   They still insisted on holding me an extra day - due to low hemoglobin levels.  Orthopedics was ready to let me go on Sunday, but it wasn't until Monday, the 28th, I obtained my release.  I told staff I was leaving & that was that!  I told Courtney to keep the engine running! :-)

I am so totally grateful to our oldest daughter & her family for taking me in!  Their living room is now my guest suite!  I have a 31- step/hop route to the rest room - so exercise isn't an issue.

The leg has to remain straight for at least six-weeks & non-weight bearing for twelve.  I see the surgeon again on November 4th & hope to gain his permission to fly home!  With the old femur break on my right leg from 2003 & now this - I can really claim to be bionic! 

Of all my friends, only the usual suspects ferreted out something was up - when I went into silent running mode...   Their calls, texts & support are priceless!  As a long-time friend mentioned; "This isn't your first rodeo!"

11 comments:

  1. Ack, how terrible! What a fluke accident, glad help came quickly. I’ve heard of compartment syndrome, no wonder you were in so much pain, I hope you heal quickly and find some sitting quietly projects (I love simple craft kits!) to stay busy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a latch hook started for the cabin :-) Had even brought it with me! Thank you~

      Delete
  2. Luck comes in all forms -you got hurt but you will still be able to ride /that’s the good part-and you are still alive-get hold of Mike smith and get him to send you some blue cream and oral ask him to no charge and put on my account-mikes message phone is 1-425-377-2310 by the way sod with copper peptide spray really helped some folks here with Covid virus-need to take real early in the disease before blood vessel damage is done -it prevents much of the damage and speeds up recovery a little
    God’s speed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!!! What a crap-luck event! I am so sorry you suffered such a nasty fracture. Thinking about you and hoping that pain meds can keep things more bearable going forward into recovery! 💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your description! Such an absurd thing to happen- I didn't even bother with one ; "Why me?" :,)

      Delete
  4. So sorry Connie, this sounds nasty. I too were wondering if you were still in WA. or back home. Hope all go's well in the healing. We wish you the best. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Everett~ We think of you & Carolyn often!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your accident. But so happy your in great hands! Keep your chin up and this too will pass. Behave and you’ll be home in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch I’m so sorry you had to go through that! I’ve had a lot of the same happen with a previous femur fracture, we’re twins! It is going to be a long hard road but you’re tough and will get through it! I’m so happy to hear you have loving support! I’m sure Courtney will take great care of you! I’ll be thinking of and praying for you! ❤️ Luanna

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~