March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

First Ride of the New Year!

 My first miles in January!  Ever!  After weeks of biting cold, today it warmed to 50!  The winds were in the teens, but not enough to stop me from going out to see what the trail was like.  

Smokey, outside Mineola~
I decided to leave from Mineola & ride the uphill grade to Margaritaville.  It was the same tough uphill grade.  The wind is always hitting me head-on when heading north, but once I'm around the corner & get into the shelter of the hills, it lessens.
Keg Creek~
This was the first time I've seen Keg Creek from the trail bridge, frozen.  I stopped a few times on my way.  A Cardinal few by, as did a big Hawk.
A vacant Margaritaville~
It's always a relief to reach the top of the grade.  I went on to Dumfries to get in a full four miles, before turning back to take a break.  The further I went; the more snow was on the trail.  Still not a lot, but enough to make riding a little more technical.  There were many sticks & branches under the snow too.
Smokey on the snow~
I'd only seen two women out walking the entire way.  Back at Margaritaville, I was only too happy to sit on the swing & enjoy the sun.  It was so quiet, not even the sound of birds.  All the trash bins had been moved to the new covered area to keep them out of the winds.  The POW flag was down.  I took it the rest of the way off the post, rolled it up & put it under the cover too.
View to the west~
This area has received even more bike racks over the last year or two, the new covered area & lots of picnic tables.  All will receive a lot of use on the Thursday evening Taco Rides this coming year.  I avoid the trail like the plaque those days!
Goodyear tires!
Smokey's tires did a Super job on the trail!  The snow was still crunchy on top, then could be slippery underneath.  The trail surface was still rock hard, but a layer of fine grit, covered the tires & fenders.  Never once did the bike slip.
Smokey & Mineola~
I love the view from this spot.  There's a bench to sit on here too.  Sadly, even with a trash container, trash was everywhere.  I picked it up, before I left.  The ride back is my very favorite part!  All downhill, so fun the entire way.  I did take it easier though, not wanting to ruin my good ride with a slip.
Back over Keg Creek~
The minute the sun started setting lower in the sky, I could feel the temperature dropping.  The wind felt colder too.  I was happy to have timed the ride well enough to still have sun back at the Explorer.  Coming into the trailhead, there were two other cars.  Two people out walking & one other with a bike rack.  I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow.  We've cold, freezing rain/snow forecast for Friday, along with another full week of cold temperatures.  It feels like a l o n g way till spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~