March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Lake Manawa State Park ~

 There were plenty of things I could have been doing, but to pass on another glorious January day - was impossible.  After lunch, I loaded Smokey & drove up to Lake Manawa State Park.  Again, the temperature had soared into the low 50's.  The wind was in the teens, but it was only bad out in the open.  

Smokey ready to go!
The only other car in the parking, was a lady with a fat tire bike. She was leaving as I arrived.  Otherwise, the park was really quiet.  Of course, it was mid-week & mid-afternoon.  I'm really thankful to have this park, not too far away & with rideable hard surface trail.
New Campground - done!
It didn't seem to take long to complete the new campground.  We'd first seen it under construction March of last year.  I'm sure it will be booked every weekend, as soon as it's opened.
South side of the Lake trail~
My favorite part of the entire ride is along the south side of the lake.  The big Cottonwoods & timbered area between the trail & the river is so nice.  You'd never know a large city was a stone's throw away.
Construction in the distance~
I rode out to where the park trails connect to the road going to the Wabash Trace.  It's still closed, I think the railroad is working on the underpass where the trail goes through.  
The "ugly" part of the ride, Veterans Memorial Hwy~
The sidewalk along Veterans Memorial Highway is the path along the north side of the lake.  It's a nice wide walkway, but the noise from all the traffic can be deafening.  There's also a busy intersection to navigate with lots of cars turning.  This was my first time riding here without Butch, so I was careful.
Trail along Indian Creek~
After all the noise, it's a relief to reach the long, straight stretch of trail that runs along the west side of the park.  Usually, we run into a head wind, but I was lucky today!  
Amazing homes along the lake, Coal Plant on the far side~
There are some truly beautiful homes along the west side of the lake.  Private docks & a waterway that accesses the lake.  
Bridge at Indian Creek~
A man I'd seen before on an Ebike came up from behind me going fast.  He was pedaling of course, but he had to be going 15-mph. With no one else on the trail, I stopped to get a picture of Smokey on the bridge.  
Back in the park~
The bridge turns you directly back onto the trail at the south.  Beautiful the entire way.  By the time I'd reached the parking area where the Explorer was, I wasn't quite ready to be done.  I continued on & took the other connecting path out to the Wabash.  
Back to the beginning of my loop~

I ended up making a small loop, just as the construction workers were leaving for the day.  The sign at one end closing the trail wasn't up, so I didn't feel like I was infringing.  It added a couple miles to my ride.  Turning back to the west on the southern trail, I was soon back at the Explorer with just over 12-miles.  Smokey is so comfortable to ride.  Riding on hard surface seems so easy after riding the limestone of the Wabash.

Lake Manawa~
I stopped on my way out of the park, to get the photo of the lake's frozen surface.  The ice isn't nearly as thick as it would normally be this time of year.
My Route~
I started for home, really pleased with a week in January where I managed to ride three days in a row & thirty miles!  Especially when snow is due tomorrow & colder temps for at least the next ten-days!  I did miss my husband riding with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~