March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Powering Up ~

 As usual, I think we found the last of this model bike in the US.  Butch did an extensive search & eventually found the Cannondale at Martins Bike & Fitness in Ephrata, PA.  

We'd taken a drive to the REI in Gretna, NE to look at different e-bikes.  (I knew Cannondale had come out with an e-bike a couple years ago, based on the same frame & build as my current bike.)  They didn't have the exact model I wanted but did have one with an identical frame.  We both tried it out & agreed that the fit was the same as the bikes we've enjoyed for over two-years.

Shadow on the bike rack~
Shipping was actually easier than I'd imagined & the bike arrived by UPS in just a week!  It was double boxed.  The UPS man looked like Aquaman if you can visualize that!  He easily picked the box up & carried it in for me. 

Of course I was anxious to get it out of the box!  I managed that, but the front tire & handlebars had been removed for shipping.  Never mechanically inclined - I planned to wait until Butch's next visit home to have him put it back together.  But no, he told me I could do it myself!  Looking at the directions & tools required, I sent a photo to Butch.  After he'd stopped for the day & I had gathered all the necessary items my husband talked me through the process of putting it back together! 
Ready to leave~
After days of bitter cold & wind, Thursday was a perfect day!  Not much wind & temperatures in the low 60's.  We'd had almost an inch of badly needed rain last Sunday, so I didn't expect the Wabash to be dry enough to ride.  The hard surface trails at Lake Manawa would work!
South side of the lake~
My plan was to ride my entire loop in the lowest mode, Eco.  I decided that should make up for Shadow's additional weight.  Smokey, my Adventure 1 EQ weighs 30 lbs., while the Adventure Neo 1 weighs in at 54 lbs. 
Piles of debris~
I always wear my Garmin 310 XT, so had it to compare with the computer on the bike.  They read identically throughout the ride.  By the time I'd reached my usual break spot, Butch was within an hour of Omaha!  Our plan was to meet for dinner in Council Bluffs before continuing on home.
3-25-2023 When the Cottonwoods stood~
The piles of debris told me the park maintenance staff had been hard at work, continuing their project of cutting down all the Cottonwood trees...  I was so sad.  
Cottonwood trees down~
The view is changed forever...  I will hope to see new trees planted around the park, as has been done at Glen Cunningham Park in NE.  

Butch called again when he was leaving the trailer at Nationwide.  By now I'd covered ten miles & felt pretty comfortable on the bike.  I decided for the last mile to move up through the four speed settings.  Shadow about ran away with me in Turbo mode!  By the time I'd returned to the Explorer, I was very happy with my new ride.  The battery reading was still five bars, exactly what I'd started out with.  The bike had no battery consumption during the 11+ mile ride.
Ride stat comparison - 3/28/24 e-bike to 2/21/24 self-pedaled~
When we got home & I downloaded my stats, I was pleasantly surprised to see how extremely close I'd come to matching my time on Smokey!  After four years of self-pedaling, combined with the damage to my left leg & ankle in 2020, I'm excited about riding without as much pain the following day.  It will also be fun to extend the distance of my rides & not have wind as much of a concern.  

Thanks to my husband for a great new bike!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~