March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

First Ride of Spring, Mineola North ~

 It was the first day of spring after all!  A stellar day, with the exception of the wind, gusting up to 25-mph.  I decided to take Smokey out anyway.  When I dropped Finnigan off with Doris, she suggested that if it got too bad, I could just turn back.    

Mineola Trail Head~
I had read about the improvements to the trail head at Mineola, but it was my first visit here since April 4th of last year.  I'd also read the trail from Council Bluffs to Mineola had been recently graded.  With the temperature hovering around 60 degrees, the gusts of wind made it feel much colder.  The new picnic tables, fire pits & area cleared of underbrush is a very nice improvement.
Going north~
Every time I start out from here, I think of the first time I experienced it, from Farah's back.  I was so excited to think I'd have this trail to ride.  This was before finding out the information I'd read on-line was outdated.
Keg Creek - low~
I stopped on the bridge over Keg Creek as I usually do.  With the wind blowing right at me, I was questioning my wisdom in deciding to ride this section.  I pedaled on, stopping a couple times to take short breaks. 
Beautiful views~
Riding here is so worthwhile though, since there are such nice territorial views.  It will be even better when the greens emerge.  Looking the other way off this same bridge, I zoomed in on the old barn in the photo below.
Old Barn~
I always feel so sad when I see the old barns falling to ruin.  Most of them were already torn down in western, WA.  The few remaining had been converted to wedding venues etc. If I had the resources, I would try to buy at least one to restore.
Turning back at 5+ miles~
I had passed Margaritaville on my way & didn't stop.  I was warmed up & felt like I could have gone on to Council Bluffs, but that will be another day.
Smokey & the view~
Instead, I stopped at the covered bench I'd passed just a short way back.  There are so many new & memorial benches on this section of trail now.  This one sits up on the hill, but is orientated towards the trail, rather than the view.  The few times I've ridden past, there's been someone here, but today I lucked out & had it to myself.  (There's also a trash can, but I still had trash to pick up behind the bench.)
Back at Margaritaville, going south~
I had to laugh at the blue & pink outhouses!  I felt like a kid again to be flying along on the downhill grade!  With Smokey in the highest gear, we were cruising 15-16 mph.  It's the fun of the ride back that keeps me motivated going north!  
Toward Mineola~
When I reached the Old Goat Lookout, a new memorial bench had been placed there too.  Such a pretty view, regardless of the time of year.  Someone had left an old sickle leaning against the wire fence & had cut down the tall grass around the benches.  What I was unhappy to see, was a cigarette butt, tossed right on top of the dry grass...  How people can come out into this beautiful country & leave their litter is just beyond my comprehension.  

I was very happy I'd ignored the wind & enjoyed such a pretty ride. Since purchasing Smokey in November of 21, I've ridden this bike 1,583 miles.  I'm hoping for a cool spring & moderate summer.  I can't wait to see the buds on the trees open & hopefully more spring rains! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~