March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, March 29, 2024

New Wheels for Butch & Finnigan too!

 Butch came back with a smile on his face after his first ride on an e-bike. In the meantime, a big box had arrived via Amazon.  When I called to ask what the box contained - my husband replied, "New wheels for Finnigan!"

Finnigan ready to roll!
Butch had been shopping online for a bike & had decided on the same model as mine, but it was out of stock everywhere.  In the meantime, he'd found one at REI he thought might work.  Finn & I went to pick it up on the 24th in Gretna.  

By the time Butch got home last Thursday afternoon, the bike was waiting for him.  Friday morning, he was out in the yard, getting the bike & trailer set up to pull Finnigan on the trail!
Almost ready!
Mid-afternoon, we left for the park in Malvern.  It would give us plenty of space to try everything out before getting on the trail.  Finn was so excited to be going, he jumped right in!  We decided to go south so Butch could see the completed repairs on the White Cloud Trestle.
Butch & Finnigan on the Trestle~
The wind was blowing hard, enough so that if we hadn't had e-bikes, it would have been a much tougher ride.  As it was, I shifted Shadow into sport mode to keep up with them!  I hollered a couple times to ask Butch to slow down!  When we stopped, he said he'd been in the lowest power setting & in the highest gear.  It seemed the bike had no slow which is probably why speed was included in the bike's description. 
Finn ready to leave after our lunch break~
We were several miles south of Malvern, when we stopped for a snack.  I'd made ham salad & it tasted better than ever on the trail!  When we were ready to depart, I expected Butch would be ready to turn back toward town.  I was surprised when he said, "let's go on to Imogene!"

Finn was riding like a champ!  He stood up most of the way, looking forward.  Only occasionally did he glance over his shoulder to see if I was still following.  I'd told Butch about the uphill grade & the place I'd named Cottonwood Pass in 2020.  He & Finn beat me to the top!
Butch & Finn at the top of Cottonwood Pass~
It was further from Malvern & closer to Imogene than I'd remembered. In about 20 minutes we were pulling into the bike camping spot just off the trail in Imogene.  Time for another break, at least for me!  I'd shifted all the way up to Turbo to keep up with my trail companions.  Butch had tried to slow down but couldn't find a setting/gear that would work.
New Art Installation~

I have to ask what the reference to Washington State is? 
The Wabash Trace Trail does not continue on to Washington state!  I love the windmill though!  I wished I'd brought another snack but hadn't expected we'd go so far.  Finnigan had been on his feet most of the way but was still happy to jump back into his trailer.
5:06 p.m. Butch & Finnigan ready to leave~
I knew the way back would be easier, most of it after the first couple miles, downhill.  It was a totally beautiful afternoon.  The sun had broken through earlier cloud cover & the wind had died down.
North along the trail~
As we stopped on the Trestle - the battery on Butch's bike was depleted down to one bar.  Mine was at four out of five bars - even after my 11-mile ride yesterday & using Turbo more than once!
6:24 p.m. West Nishnabotna River~
From the river, it's only four miles back to Malvern.  We arrived at the Explorer just before 7 p.m. It's so nice to be able to enjoy the longer days of spring!  
A tired Finn~
We'd ridden just under 30-miles.  The Cannondale Allroad bike was supposed to have a range of 71 miles on a charge but was blinking a warning as Butch turned the computer off. 

Finnigan was one tired boy & we were feeling those miles too!  After more internet searching, Butch finally found a bike like mine in CO.  We're hoping it will ship this week & be here when he comes home in April!  The three of us were happily tired by the time we returned home & are looking forward to more fun rides!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~