March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

The Smell of Rain~

A warm, 70's but overcast day.  Almost no wind & the slightest hint of moisture in the air!  A perfect day for a ride.  Riding the trail, this time of year, says more than enough about our current drought status...

Ready to leave~
All was quiet both in town & at the park.  I couldn't decide which direction I wanted to go.  Having the trestle out has shortened my favorite ride to half the usual distance.  I decided to Cowgirl up & ride south to take a look at the White Cloud Trestle.

A mile south of Malvern~
The uphill grind starts at the edge of town & continues for miles.  I surprised myself though.  It didn't seem as difficult as I'd remembered.
Heading south~
The last time I'd ridden this way was in July of last year.
10-miles to Imogene~
The old sign is still hanging on to the tree & still legible.  I wished in the worst way I felt good enough to ride all the way to Imogene.  If I'd had Butch to pick me up, I would have gone for it.  With my leg as it is, I seriously doubt I could do the round trip these days - even riding Smokey.
Equipment Tracks~
The limestone surface, as I approached the trestle was a total disaster.  Heavy equipment had rutted the trail to the point it was almost impossible to ride.  When the surface is soft, everything sinks.  Then when it dries, it becomes hard as rock...  I had read where the north end of the trail at Council Bluffs had been dragged - but nothing has been mentioned about this area.
North approach to the White Cloud Trestle~
The old 1910 trestle bridge certainly looks different now...  The work had been posted as complete the 24th of February.  The new decking has a non-slip surface, which will be nice on frosty mornings & probably last for years & years.
Smokey on the White Cloud Trestle~
The new railings though, look so incredibly raw against the rusted steel.  I'm sure it would cost more than the budget provides to stain them.
South approach to the White Cloud Trestle~
All the surrounding trees & shrubs had been severely cut back.  I decided to walk down & check things out from below.
Looking up~
It's quite a view from either topside or at water level.  The clouds thickened as the afternoon advanced.  I actually thought I might get wet on my way back.
Shore view West Nishnabotna River~
The level of the river plainly shows the effect of our three years of drought.  The weather forecast is saying we'll get rain before the end of the week.  Of course, we've heard that many times before these last few months.
Turn around~
Smokey & I continued on to what I call the narrow bridge before turning back toward Malvern.  It seems even quieter out this way than at Silver Creek.  Our way back was fun, since the uphill grade becomes mostly downhill on the return!  

Back at the park, the sun was trying to peek through the clouds as I loaded the bike & headed for home.  I enjoyed the ten-mile ride, even if I do miss my usual route.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~