March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Visit with Farah! - First Day~

The wait had been a long one, for us both...
Together again~
I left the hotel, filled the gas tank & stopped at the store for a bag of carrots!  The drive to Renee's was about two-hours & 100-miles north.  I again - had printed directions & additional information from Renee.  I thought I was close, when the road came to an end at a cabled forest gate.  I had just enough cell signal to call out & reached Mike.  He gave more directions & in short order I arrived at the gate below!
I've arrived?
There was a key pad for the gate, but I didn't have the combination.  With no cell service, I decided to park the Pathfinder & hike in.  I hadn't gone too far when I heard the gate open behind me.  I flagged down the car.  As luck would have it, the driver was Renee & Mike's son Brett!  He gave me a lift back to the Pathfinder & I followed him to the farm!

Almost before I introduced myself to Mike, I was heading towards Farah.  I could see Farah with her rear toward the house, having her afternoon snooze.  I called her name!  Her head turned & in an instant she pivoted & came to me!  It was a joyous reunion! 

Renee appeared - introductions were made!  I unloaded my bags into the cute upstairs apartment, where I would be staying.  We had a quick lunch - eating & talking as fast as we could.  Both of us were anxious to take advantage of the break in the weather & saddle up!
In the saddle!
Saddling took a while.  Those who've ridden with me know that I'm usually speedy, but that's with my tack.  Renee was using her western saddle, since it would be Rocquell's first time being ridden out on trails.  I would be riding in a dressage saddle.  The girth was a little too long for Farah.  I wasn't used to the leathers & buckles, but  Farah was very accommodating.  (I'd mailed out her headstall, reins & my helmet to Courtney's in advance of the trip.)  Riding with irons was something I hadn't done for years.
Beautiful creeks~
The forest reserve where Renee lives, is part of a planned community that consists of over 4,000 acres.  Within that area are six communities governed by a Community Council of homeowner representatives.  Yearly assessed dues include maintenance of roads, gates & best of all, a trail system.
Farah & me~
It felt so good, so very good to be mounted on my girl!  Renee mentioned Farah was the most relaxed she had seen her.  We were in our happy place again!  
Renee & Rocquell
Being out on trails, riding through a beautiful, forested area was grand!  Rocquell did very well!  No spooking, with ears forward.  Her walk matched Farah's perfectly - Renee & I were having a very enjoyable ride!  
Blown over Vine Maple~
Somewhat in the rain shadow of Mt. Rainier - there had been a lot of snow & wind.  The roads were graveled, but soft from all the moisture.  Renee asked if I'd like to ride down to the lake & of course I said;  "yes"!
In the lake~
I'd viewed the area on google earth, but had no idea just how beautiful it was.  Farah walked right in, Rocquell wasn't quite ready to try it, but did check it out with her nose.  
Off in the distance~
Every minute was so bittersweet.  Emotions were close to the surface.  We continued on - making what I realized - when I downloaded my Garmin - a nice loop.  This area reminded me so much of the wetland & forested area west of the Homestead where we'd enjoyed our own private trails for so many years...
Our route~
Once back, we unsaddled the mares.  Both had a light sheen of sweat, Rocquell let it be known she was tired :-) It had been a long ride for her!  We brushed them down & put the blankets back on.  I gave both more carrots & cookies.

As Renee made a wonderful dinner, Mike & Bret started a roaring fire in the backyard!  What a surprise & nice way to warm up after the ride!  I am so thankful for the hospitality - since they do - indeed live somewhat out-there!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~