March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, February 18, 2019

Visit with Farah - Last Day's Ride~

The view out the window of the studio apt. was beautiful!  The light of a almost full moon over the tall evergreens.  The next morning the expected sun did not appear, but at least it wasn't raining!  Renee made us smoothies, before we went out to saddle.  Colder than yesterday, but great riding weather.

After we'd mounted, Renee wanted to close the driveway gate.  I decided to see if Farah would remember her one & only gate class?  She did!  We closed one side, closed the other & latched the lock!  Time for a cookie!  :-)
On our way~
I asked Renee if we could visit the lake again, it was almost on our way.  We were going on a tour of the reserve!  Farah again walked right into the water & would have gone deeper.
Rocquell & Farah
Farah has made friends with Rocquell, even going so far as to let her eat her hay, when the storm took down the fence between them. Since she was born on the farm, and Racquell is dark, as Farah's dam was, it may be that she feels friendlier?
Yawning!
I loved to see her yawning again. One of her favorite things was always standing in Pilchuck creek & yawning. Tule Lake is large, at 60 acres. About in the middle of a huge area that had belonged to Weyerhaeuser & probably inaccessible to the public - it's pristine.
Lake Tule~
This is a view that will be imprinted in my mind for a long while.  My once ornery, opinionated mare, seems more subdued now.  Of course I am too...
Us~
At one point we were doing a nice little trot & I lost a stirrup.  Farah instantly gave me that moment to regain it.  She could feel the difference in my seat, but now on day two - I was adjusting.
Into the woods~
We would go from the roads, to the trails & back as we wove our way around.  At one point, out on the road, Farah stopped & I could tell she heard something.  I warned Renee & in another minute a truck came around the corner pulling an empty, banging, utility trailer.  Racquell handled the noise without batting an eye.
The truck & trailer continue on~
It wasn't long after until we made a turn & started up a decent climb.  We could hear the sound of a chain saw & soon saw the man operating it.  We were on the trail & he was cutting a tree that had fallen across.  Though I yelled, he couldn't hear us, so again we took to the road.
View from the climb~
The clouds were just low enough to obscure our view of the Cascades.  Mt. Rainier was not going to appear for us on this day.
Renee & Racquell
Farah loved the climb & wanted to take off, but I told her no.  I didn't feel comfortable enough to let her fly.  Besides, with the terrible winter weather, she hasn't had any conditioning.  Renee & I exchanged stories.  When I mentioned Farah's prowess at endurance, she replied;  "Your glory days."  
Mahonia
The Mahonia has always been one of my favorite NW natives.  The color looked absolutely brilliant on the overcast day.
Our route & Mt. Rainier
Eventually, it was time to turn back.  I was dreading that...  At the farm, we again unsaddled.  Renee led Racquell away - Farah didn't move.  We were both happy to have some alone time.  I worked to do All of her favorite things.  I'd mailed her Epona face cloth to Renee, but it was lost in the mail.  I'll have to order another.  She loved having her faced rubbed with that cloth.  (In the Iowa heat it was especially appreciated.)  She reminded me of all the things she loved me to do & I loved doing them all for her again...  I went over every inch of her, more than once.
Into the distance~
Finally, we both just stood there. I told her how much we love her & she can be certain we'll always watch out for her. I tucked my head into our favorite spot, she moved into me & we both knew the visit was over. I walked over to the car & got the bag of carrots. She ate all that were left, except for a couple we saved for Racquell. I turned her out & she walked over to her water.

I said my goodbye's & thank you' s to Renee, before going back out to the Pathfinder.  Farah looked up from her hay & continued to watch as I drove out the gate.
Novelty Hill~
Needless to say - it seemed like a very, very long drive back north. It was after three when I left, but with new directions, I made good time up to Hwy 167. The only traffic hold-up of the trip, was on Novelty Hill in Redmond, where I sat for ten minutes. I arrived back at Courtney's just as the sun set. Courtney was waiting on the front porch & boy did her hug feel good! It was my longest road-trip since my vision was impaired, well over 400-miles. It felt good to have accomplished it!

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me when I retired my horse to PA so many years ago..Very tough ride.I get teary just thinking of it even now.Miss my boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie I can't even imagine how much you and Farah love each other . I'm sure it was hard to say goodbye 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a goodbye - more of a shared mindfulness - both knowing that it will be a while before we're together again.

      Delete

Always Welcome~