March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Malvern to Shenandoah~

Weather watching again - today was to be cool - no wind & no rain until tomorrow.  The clouds did look ominous as I drove to Malvern.
Our parking spot at Agriland~
My plan was to ride again to Imogene 13.6 mi., & on to Shenandoah, another 8.9, for a total of 23-miles.  On the roads, it was 28-miles.  Butch & I planned to meet by 6 p.m. at the trailhead in Shenandoah.  (Of course, neither of us had been to the trailhead!)  I hoped to make the ride in four-hours, with no idea what the trail was like past Imogene.
Speedy at Fast Stop!
We left promptly at 2 p.m.  Speedy was insistent about stopping at Butch's gas station for a photo!   With my Garmin working again - yippee - it was so nice to know about where I was on the trail & how fast I was going.  I wore my light weight rain coat, it was actually chilly.
Sign in the trees says;  "Ten-miles to Imogene"
It took me about three-miles to take the jacket off.  The greens are popping fast now!  The trees are really leafing out, a big change from even last week.
Cottonwood Pass~
There is a big, long uphill grade about 2/3rds of the way to Imogene.  I remembered it & decided to stop near the top for a photo of the beautiful Cottonwoods.
Imogene Bike Area~
We reached Imogene at 3:50 p.m.  I decided to rest for ten-minutes & eat the peanuts I'd bought, for a snack.  I wanted to check out the inside of the grain bin, but the door was locked.  The clouds would move in, then out, within minutes.  I got cold here & put on my jacket, knowing it would be coming off shortly.
Far side of Imogene~
Before I was a couple miles out of town, the sky cleared.  Another stunning spring afternoon in the heartland!  (Today, was Farah's 14th birthday.  I missed her...  I asked Grandson Ben to visit her for me & take her carrots.  I hope he did.)  The trail from this point on, had more of a sandy surface.  Smoother, but at one point Speedy's rear tire spun a little sideways.
My second selfie~
By now, I was still feeling just fine.  My knees are getting used to all the work & Speedy has lost the random squeaks.  We were averaging over 8-mph & our fastest was 17.3 on one flat stretch.
4:33 p.m. Walnut Creek~
The clouds added so much to the beauty of the landscape!  Every time I thought I might get wet, the darkest of them would sail on by.
I must have been near Essex~
Coming up on a road crossing - I could hear emergency vehicles.  The first two passed by before I could get my camera out for a photo.  The dust was flying, lucky for me, in the other direction!  Yes, that's a decent hill you see on the far side.  The beginning of another long, uphill grade.  This one, seemed to go on forever.  I could see the hill on the horizon & hoped we'd reach the top soon!
Dwarf Larkspur (Delphinium tricorne~
Seeing the beautiful dark purple flowers at the side of the trail, gave me a reason to stop for a short break.  It wasn't too long after this, I came to the Hwy 59 crossing.  Traffic was flying by!  I took a quick look both directions & made it over to the far side.  I knew I had to be getting close to Shenandoah when the Garmin turned over 20-miles!
Bridge over the Nishnabotna River~
This was the longest bridge we've been on yet!  Speedy is as good with bridges as Farah!
Between the bars~
The photo above was almost to the mid-point of the span.  A beautiful bridge over a beautiful river!
The East Nishnabotna River ~  5:10 p.m.
Once we were off the bridge, the trail was paved!  The paving was cracked, patched & almost rougher than the limestone surface.  Bike riders in WA would have a complete fit without the smooth surfaces they're so used to on the Centennial Trail!
5:20 p.m. - We've arrived!
I was amazed we'd made such good time!  3 hr.'s. 20 min. for the 22.70-mile ride.  Farah & I did our only 25-mile ride in 3 hr.'s 21min. for second place.  I think Speedy & I could match that time - but not with the 3,626 ft. of elevation gain!  Our gain was 686 ft.
Old Station at the Shenandoah Trailhead~
I was waiting for Butch, he was waiting for me, out at Hwy 59, where there's an off road gravel parking area.  (He had arrived there within five-minutes of my crossing!)  :-(  With no cell service, after an hour I called 911.  They got through to Butch & finally - he found me!  Lesson learned!
Ride Route~
By the time we were back in Malvern, we were starving.  Tobey Jacks is open & we made it just before closing.  They were kind enough let us order & we have to thank the owners & staff for our first sit-down dinner - in a restaurant - for months!

This weekend, we hope to ride one of the last sections of the trail, south, to the Missouri border.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~