March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

First 2021 - Point-to-Point Ride~

 It was cold, the wind was blowing, making it even colder.  The sun was shining, this was the day Butch could drop me off  at the start of the Wabash in Council Bluffs.  It would be a one way ride from there - to Agriland in Malvern - 22-miles.

12:20 p.m. On the trail, heading south~

I wore a thermal long sleeved shirt, my North Face Thermoball vest & Carhart jacket.  Once I was warmed up, I removed my vest.  Working up a sweat in the cold wind, was no fun.  Again, this section of the trail is always bittersweet.  It's the one section of the 62-mile length open to horses.  Farah & I rode it often.

Speedy, at the entrance to the horse trail~

A long & gradual climb for six-miles, to the bike party spot of Margaritaville.  Improvements are under way, I'm sure the two houses in the area are not happy about it.  The parties can get loud, I'm told.

1:15 p.m. Margaritaville~

There are picnic tables, a swing & the hitching posts are still there too.  Farah & I used this as our lunch spot.  We'd have to turn back - but with Speedy I continued on. What I like about it most - is on to Minneola - it's almost four-miles of downhill!  So very much fun!

Mineola in the distance~
A new bench was installed, I did stop again to take a few photo's.  It was far from the only stop I made, putting my jacket on, taking it off etc.  When the sun was out, I'd warm up, but when a big cloud came over, the temperature would take a nose dive.
2 p.m. At ten-miles~
Leaving this trail-head, I knew I'd have two-miles of uphill to the top of the long hill.  It was a grind...  I only stopped once & even tried first gear, but it felt like I was going nowhere.  Sweet relief to reach the summit.  Now, it would be 2-miles of downhill, with the last mile to Silver City concrete.
2:30 p.m. 14-miles.  Crossing the new bridge at Silver City!

I was happy to arrive - this would be my longest break.  Mari Jo was expecting me, she said something about "Crazy to ride in this cold & wind."  She thought I'd be turning back north, but I explained I was going on south & Butch had the bike rack.

3:27 - a short way out of Silver City~

I stayed longer than I should have, getting warm in the shop, felt so good!  I inhaled the few peanuts I'm brought along.  Now, I only had 1.5 hours to get to Agriland.  My directions to Butch were, if he didn't see me by 5, he was to pick me up in Silver City.  I knew he wouldn't be happy if he had to drive back to Malvern to get me!  My best time before my injury had been just under an hour, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Dutchman's Breeches~

The Dutchman's Breeches were still in bloom, but starting to fade.  I had to stop to get one more photo of them.  I made my best time of the ride on this eight-mile stretch.  First, I know it well & second, the wind was still at my back.

4:20 p.m. Malvern!

I couldn't believe I'd made it to Malvern in just under an hour!  I was proud of Speedy!  :-)  We headed on over to the shop.  It was so cold, the big doors were closed.  Just as I went to open the man door, it was opened by Butch!  He'd been coming out to see if I was close!

Thirty-minutes to spare!  Yippee!  We left for dinner at Tobey Jacks - yummy conclusion to a long day's ride.

2 comments:

Always Welcome~