March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, April 9, 2021

Two Completions!

 Best day of the week, we'd had quite a bit of rain yesterday & some overnight.  Butch checked the trail for me in Malvern & called to say it was rideable.  After lunch, I drove to Silver City.  Mari Jo was outside her shop.  The construction foreman had just opened the new bridge!  She grabbed her bike & we went right up to the trail!  Mari Jo - fittingly - was first across, followed by me & Speedy!

First riders on the new bridge!
We felt pretty special to be the first!  (All those cookies for the crew paid off :-)  The original bridge had been over one-hundred years old.  This one should last forever...  Mari Jo has her shop open now.  I left town from the south end.  On my own for the first time - since early last Sept.
Leaving Silver City, southbound~
The buds are starting to open on the trees!  A beautiful lacy, light green.  I felt SO good to be back out in the great-wide open!  Everything so beautiful, the air fresh from the rain.  A Bald Eagle had flown over me on my way here & a huge hawk took to the air.
The wild plums are blooming!
I was torn between seeing how fast I could make the trip & stopping to admire the beauty. I made plenty of stops! It was just too nice of an afternoon, not to take the time to enjoy the sights & sounds.
Speedy - now a year old!
Just short of a year from the first time we were at the trestle.  Even with my knee & ankle still swollen & sore, I'm in much better shape now than I was then - when I'd just started biking.  The train cars in the river I'd commented on in last years post - I've recently been told - was from an actual train wreck.  
Near the river!
Only four-miles to go & the last one on the concrete.  Speedy set her own pace & we were still going to be at Agriland within the time window I'd told Butch to expect me.
Agriland from the trail.  Butch's shop far left, red roof~
The trail was sticky - but Speedy's tires didn't sink in.  It looked like Malvern had even more rain than in Glenwood.  I didn't take any photos during my visit.  Butch took some when I arrived.  I'll have to see if I can find them on his overloaded phone.

Our first shared Coke of the season, tasted So good!  I stopped by the office to say "Hi" to April.  I'd had so much fun riding - I decided to go ahead, cowgirl Up & ride another eight-miles back to Silver City.  
Changing weather & the pond~
I wasn't a mile out of town, before I realized I'd probably made a poor decision.  The temperature had dropped & the wind had really come up.  Blowing right at me, out of the North, NW, the same direction I was trying to go.  I dropped down to second gear & had to work for every rotation of the pedals.  When I tried to coast, the wind almost pushed Speedy backward.
Mid-span of the Silver Creek Trestle~
I only made a couple short stops.  I knew if I stopped for too long, my leg would stiffen up & it would be even harder going.  As I reached the edge of Silver City, I saw Butch's truck come down the street & park by the shop.  He jumped out & took more photos.  If they turn out - I'll post them later.  Mari Jo was waiting too.  I got the "look"!  :-)

Butch helped me gimp up the short hill to the trail, so we could admire the bridge.  It's unbelievable the resources it takes - for what looks to be - a simple project.  The huge crane, a huge excavator, several other track hoe's etc.  All that's left now, is the remaining dirt work & clean-up.

It's really a beautiful bridge.  I love the rust color & it will only look better with time.

From the north end, looking south~
As I was riding back, I was thinking about how very good smoked brisket sounded for dinner.  When I mentioned it to Mari Jo she laughed & responded that The Hood was serving smoked brisket!  A perfect end to a milestone ride.  My overall speed went up 1.2 mph, but is still 2-3 mph slower than my best time from last year.  Thanks for a wonderful 17.10 miles Speedy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~