March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Ride into Spring~

 After a week of winds, today was both sunny & calm.  But chilly - very!  Mid-40's - even without much wind is deceptive when the sun shines!  I'd planned a ride to Agriland, but Butch called to say he was on the way to MO.  Not sure when he'd get back, I still wanted to ride my usual route.  Distance/difficulty - but not both at the same time.  It's not that the trail has steep hills, but they are long.

Happy First Birthday Speedy!

A year ago today, Speedy & I took our first ride on the trail.  I'd been out a few times before, but always with Butch.  That ride was only my second on my own.  The first was with Sunny, who Speedy replaced.

On our way
I continue to be in awe of the beauty of the countryside.  It's the quiet, the singing of the birds, the sounds of nature, so soothing to the soul.  The sound of water running over rock is rare in our corner of the state.
Speedy peeks over at the Beaver Dam~
There are a few places it can be heard - the Beaver Dam outflow, or the occasional area's where concrete was added for erosion control.
Phlox divaricate

I had to stop again, to admire the first bright colorful flowers of the season!  

Flowering Plum~
As I enjoyed the smooth concrete just north of Malvern, the smell of the flowering plum filled the air!  As sweet as any perfume.  Speedy insisted on another birthday photo! 

In town, I could see the big door of Butch's shop was closed, so I decided to take a break at the Malvern Depot.  Within a few minutes, I heard trucks coming down the road, the second one my husband was driving!  Good timing for my cold coke!
Speedy & the Floater~
I'd heard the term "floater" & now, can associate the term with the equipment!  Speedy, of course had to have her photo taken again!  

We didn't stay long, I'd broken this ride into two - on my Garmin.  I wanted to compare my ride south, to the same ride, back north.  My 310 XT, showed 8.43 miles & I had the same distance to return to the Bronco at Happy Trails
Mounds of Dutchman's Breeches!

When I spotted mounds of white, covering a hillside along the trail, I recognized the same little wild flowers who've made an appearance at home.  I couldn't believe I'd missed them on way south!  I like to think I see everything, but I don't.  I still spook when something comes from my right.

Silver Creek~
By the time I was back at the Trestle, the clouds were rolling in again.  I'd taken both my vest & light weight jacket, but had worked hard enough I hadn't worn either for very long.  I really like the new rear bike rack Raymace pannier bag!  It has a place for my water bottle, is insulated & has tie downs on top for my jacket.

I'd just loaded Speedy onto the Bronco, when Butch pulled in.  We walked across the street, to The Hood for dinner.  After 17-miles, I was starved.  I'm still trying to find the sweet spot between doing & overdoing.  This week was a bit easier - I had just the tiniest more bend in the knee & ankle.  My  average moving speed was up by another 1-mph.  Small gains!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~