March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Misty Gray~

Since last weekend & actually most of last week, we've had a string of gray days.  So reminiscent of Western, WA.  With rain again in the forecast, I wanted to get in another longer ride.  I was going to ride with Laura first, but she was delayed.  I decided to ride from Mineola to Silver City & back while I waited.
Toward Silver City~
Speedy has a new shifter & this would be our first time on the trail with it installed.  The original was a twist shifter & my wrist didn't like it.  The new one is a shift type lever & I was excited to try it.  Butch tried to do the install, but the cable that came with it was 5" too short.  Tue. morning we made a trip back to Xtreme Wheels for cable.
Anise Root~
Once I was a mile or so out from the Mineola Trail-head, the Anise was in full bloom & just stunning.
Mounds of flowering Anise~
It was chilly, dark clouds came & went.  I had my rain jacket tied to my waist.  Speedy was shifting smoothly & we flew along on the concrete downhill grade into town.
Speedy in Silver City~
I only stayed long enough to stretch my legs, before we turned back.  I'm still trying to find a rear rack for Speedy.  The one I ordered was too small & the one I need is on back order until Sept.  I'm reminded of getting tack squared away for a horse, except Speedy's size is somewhat standard!  No need to have special measurements for a custom saddle!  :-)  (I do think it's too funny that bike riders call the seat a saddle!)  I kept Sunny's saddle & am glad I did.  It's about broken in for me now.  I've ordered grips matching it - I let them go with Sunny & wish I hadn't.  They too are backordered.
Speedy's front plate~
Electra was purchased by Trek Bike & anything Electra - is on backorder.  I'm Sure Speedy will be one of the last;  Made in the USA, which was one of reasons Butch & I decided on the Electras...
The road Farah & I came in on~
I recognized the road Farah & I took, over to the trail from the farm.  I kind of had an eye open for Laura.  I'd told her I'd be doing the round-trip to Silver City & though she might head out my direction for a meet-up on the trail.
Returning to Mineola~
The uphill grades are almost worth the downhill flying time :-)  The other thing I like about the new shifter, I can easily see what gear I'm in.  After all the riding - I can pretty much tell now.
We find Laura!  Enjoying one of the day's rare sunbreaks!
Here she was!  Back at the trail-head!  Her new bike sporting new fenders & a new seat!  She chose the way to Margaritaville - away we went!  With the handlebars raised etc., Laura was riding like a pro.  She had already ridden a mile before I'd arrived, we added a few more to that before turning back.  There were a few tiny raindrops that fell, but I love & appreciate the unaccustomed coolness.
Countryside~
Once back, we struggled to get Laura's bike loaded into her car.  With the handlebars set higher, it was a tight squeeze.

With Laura on her way home, Speedy & I still had a little time & decided to go on up to Margaritaville.  I know the hot, humid days are coming & feel like I have to take advantage of these wonderful cool ones.
Speedy at Margaritaville~
There were a couple men drinking beers when I arrived, I made the stop a short one.  One was riding an electric bike.  I really enjoyed the four-miles of downhill back to Mineola.
3-miles to Tobey Jacks!
Just over a mile out, I noticed the sign for Tobey Jacks!  Certainly on my list of destinations.  I'd called Butch & he planned to meet me for dinner.
Keg Creek~
We'd really made good time, arriving back early enough, I had time to play with our new bike rack & get Speedy loaded.  It was so much easier than our old one, where I had to lift the bike high in the air to get it hung.
Coming back to the Mineola Trailhead~
When Butch pulled in, he checked my work & I'd done it all right!  Speedy wasn't falling off anytime soon :-)  All together in the three rides, we'd covered 20-miles.  Here I am, again counting miles!  My idea is to get fit enough to ride 25 or so with relative ease.  I do say relative - since at the age I am now - most everything is relative!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~