March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Valley View Trail ~

I really wanted to get out!  With all the rain we'd received, I expected the Wabash Trace Limestone trail would be too soft to ride.  Laura was looking forward to riding on a paved trail, so I'd planned an urban ride, to Lake Manawa.
My route on Google Earth~
Once we left the parking area & got over to the trails, the one going north was closed.  The only other option was the Valley View Trail.
Speedy & the Bronco~
The wind was really blowing, right at us.  It was humid & the temperature was up to 80.  Riding through the grounds of the Iowa School for the Deaf - was beautiful.
Beginning of the ride~
In just short of a mile, we had Hwy 92 to cross.  Even with a light - it was interesting to say the least.  Cars turning right in front of us - even when they saw we were crossing.
Train over the road~
Laura had forgotten her water, so we made a convenient stop at Sugar Makery!   No bike rack yet - but it's coming!  While we were inside a big gust of wind blew both bikes down...  Speedy sustained three scratches to the rear fender :-(    (Yes, I'd turned the front tire.)
Speedy at Sugar Makery!
Laura decided to turn back, she'd forgotten a late afternoon appointment.  I wanted to continue on & see what the trail was like.  Going along the edge of the road was no fun at all, but soon the trail veered further off to the side, separate from the roadway.
Speedy decides on an education!
I did learn - the hard way - Townie's do Not Do Hills!  I gave it my best shot, but ended up walking Speedy up the top half of the hill.
Heading back down~
I always enjoy the downhills so much, but here I learned disk brakes would certainly be a strong advantage if one were riding many big hills!
Signage - 3.5 back to where we started~
I stopped at the bridge, as usual to admire the view.  Having the wind at my back - on the downhill portion of the ride was fun.  I cruised right back to the trailhead, a ten-mile round-trip.  Coming in, I watched as other bikes were leaving the limestone section of the Wabash, heading south.  Evidentially the winds had dried it out.
Speedy is a show-off!
Hot, sweaty & tired, I'm looking forward to the quieter realms of the Wabash tomorrow.  The Weatherman is promising us a ten day!  I'm going to stick to my plan to keep Speedy at least into fall & see how much riding I do.  (Today, I crossed over the 200-mile mark since my first ride April first.)  I really don't think I'll need a different bike, since the hills on the Wabash aren't like the one today.  I love the bike for the gradual grades of the Wabash & that's where I'll be spending most of my time anyway~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~