March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, May 15, 2020

A New Bike & Rider!

My friend Laura had been considering a bike!  When she mentioned shopping for one - I was in!  The first shop listed by Google, was closed.  The second was Endless Trails!  This was a Great shop!  The owner was so helpful from when we first went in the door.

A totally different experience from when Butch & I bought my bike at Xtreme Wheels.  (We would have walked out without purchasing a bike, if there had been anyone else in the area that carried Electra Townies.  The owner was on the edge of truly rude & even though he knew we were going to purchase the bike, waited on customers who came in after us, with issues like a flat tire.  Not a shop I'll buy from again.)  I ended up calling Electra corporate to get answers to my questions.
Laura with her new bike!
At Endless Trails, we were told there was a bike shortage!  From many racks for bikes, the selection had dwindled to only a very few.  Even so, this owner was determined to assess the type of bike that would work for Laura & customize it to fit her.  We ended up waiting a day to have the bike assembled.  When we arrived to pick it up, we were taught how to remove the front tire, proper tire pressure, etc.  We both highly recommend this shop!
Laura at the trail-head!
After an inch of rain yesterday, Butch checked the trail on his way to work & it was fine.  I was so excited to get Laura out on the Wabash!  She was game & gutsy to start out on the limestone & within a few feet was riding better than I'd expected!  On our way - we passed a Mom with four kids.  They were on their maiden voyage too, having just purchased five bikes!   No wonder the bike shops are out of stock.  Of course the problem arises because almost all the bikes now, are manufactured overseas...

Both directions are uphill grades, we headed toward Council Bluffs.  We made a few stops for seat adjustments etc.  (It reminded me of going out with a new to horses rider. :-)  After a few miles, Laura was ready to turn back.  I'd encouraged her by saying - once we turned around, it would be a downhill glide!  ;-)
Black Swallowtail!
It was a beautiful day, if a little warm for me - at low 80's.  The trail is mostly shaded, so we did fine.  I will be adding electrolytes to my pack now too.  Speedy is happy to have a new friend - we're waiting for Laura to decide on a name.  Once back at the parking, Laura headed home.  She looked happy!  Since she likes the heat, I hope she'll motivate me to ride more this summer.
4:21 p.m. Toward Silver City~
I hadn't been on the trail from Mineola to Silver City since April 15th, when I'd ridden on through to Malvern.   I remembered this section as having a pretty difficult uphill grade for the first couple miles.  I wasn't wrong, but today, Speedy & I were in top form, at least to date.  We even passed our first group of riders!  I hesitated - remembering my endurance days.  When you pass, you'd better be prepared to keep going.  It's embarrassing, at least to me, to ask to pass, then end up being passed!
Concrete~
Once you're past the two-mile mark, the trail turns downhill & the concrete comes up fast.  We really flew along this section today!  I think Speedy is just a little competitive - she had an ear cocked behind us :-)  We were in Silver City & had been there several minutes, before the group behind us arrived.  I congratulated Speedy :-)
4:21, Silver City~
Since we'd made such good time, I was ready to start back & see if we could match it.
On our way back~
Cardinals, were flying across the trail & Goldfinches were everywhere!  It's so much fun to see those bright spots of color against the blue sky.  I can never help stopping for pictures!
5:12 p.m. Speedy & the Bronco~
We were back in almost the identical time.  Making an average speed of just over 10 mph. - on the 8.22-mile round-trip.  Rain is due tomorrow.  Hopefully, Sunday we'll head south to finish off riding the length of the trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~