March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

American Beauty Day~

With a hazy - cool start - the day was somewhat subdued.  I'd planned to ride, with rain on the way.  In 2018 our May weather was ten-degrees above normal.  This year, we're experiencing weather ten-degrees below normal.  My preference for sure!  It's giving us a more extended spring - helpful with all the planting I've done.
Leaving Silver City~
Today, I was going from Silver City, to Malvern, then returning to Silver City.  I've ridden enough now for longer rides, so parked the Bronco at the Silver City Trailhead.  The sun had broken through the overcast skies, but it was still chilly.
Pretty little creek~
I like to stop & look over the edge of the bridges.  Here, the concrete is covered with moss, almost making it look like stone.  It still seem strange to see a landscape not overrun with blackberry!
Corn coming up!
This field was showing the first glint of green, with the young corn plants just emerging.  The vastness of the landscape - is something I enjoy so much.  I'm remined of why I felt so claustrophobic when Butch first took me to western, WA.
Boards & Blooms~
The lonely lilac bush added a bright spot of color!  The clouds came & went.  Sunshine & shadows~
Phlox blooming everywhere!
It was like riding through a huge garden of green - so very lush, just stunning.  Every day more of the trees are opening their leaves.  As the canopy begins to fill out, it has the look of fragile green lace.
One of my favorite views~
I stopped several times to take in the views - they are changing so quickly.  I want to capture as many as I can!  The timbered areas are my favorite.

Speedy & I arrived at Agriland right on schedule.  Butch bought me a coke & we socialized for a while before he went back to work & we headed back to the trail.
Leaving Malvern~
Within just a mile or so, the trees can look so different.  From light, airy & upward growing, to the more looming limbs that once filled out, will cover the sky.  I hadn't left Agriland until 4 p.m. & was to meet Butch in Silver City at 5.  More peddling, less stopping :-)
On the trestle~
I didn't fall off into the river :-)  The Garmin is not 100% accurate with my placement, but the above photo shows both my tracks.  I'd stopped on the bridge when two riders came from the opposite direction.  They asked if I minded if they took a break with me?  Of course I didn't mind & we chatted long enough - I knew Speedy would really have to hustle to get back on time!
Clouds moving back in~
I stopped for one last photo & made it to town just a few minutes late.  Butch had just arrived.  For once - perfect timing!  I was surprised at how much easier today's ride was, than that first ride in April.  Of course riding Speedy has helped too!

 The Y is re-opening next Monday.  After ten-weeks off, I'll basically be starting over.  I'm hopeful the riding has at least stemmed the tide of fitness loss...  Monday, will tell the tale!

2 comments:

  1. I stopped to admire a baby corn field today. Last week they tilled and planted corn next to our pasture. When mature the entire plant is harvested and fermented into silage for cattle feed. (Germans consider corn animal feed, so finding Doritos is rough.) The hay field across from our house had its first cutting last week - amazing, the beginning of May! I love the agriculture here all around us, and the sound of the tractors working the fields. In Seattle, even in the rural areas I rode, I never got to see agriculture. Feeling claustrophobic in Western Washington? I feel uncomfortably exposed everywhere else. "I'm gonna get struck by lightning, I'm the only thing out here..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iowa sweet corn is the best in the world! I can't wait! I'm with you, seeing the land produce food for the world is incredible. Ha Ha! The world seems so much bigger out in the great wide-open spaces! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~