March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, July 30, 2020

97th Annual Sidney Rodeo!

Patriotism!
We look forward every year to the Sidney Rodeo.  Many were concerned such a long-running event would be cancelled due to Covid.  Wrong!  The Rodeo Committee & Sponsors took the reins & moved forward!  We enjoyed another evening of world-class Rodeo!
Sidney Rodeo~
I had to buy the limited edition t-shirt.  It will hopefully be the last time - this particular logo will be used.  The second year in a row - the weather cooperated with a perfect - blissfully cool - late July evening.

As were were walking around the stock pens - a group of riders - Rodeo Royalty came up the path.  I asked the last rider, the breeding of her horse.  I've never been one to let a good horse pass me by!  Teigan, (Who I later realized was Queen.) was gracious enough to pull up & talk horse with me.  An accomplished young horsewoman & incredible rider.  I watched her through the evening, wrangling the loose stock out of the arena without missing a beat.
Opening Ceremony~
 It's incredible to see the number of horses & riders that participate.  Sidney is a small town, with the struggles all mid-west small towns have, survival.  The Rodeo contributes to the economy, as the only large event in this area.
Bronc riding~
 There was a super turnout of cowboys in all the events!  With so many Rodeo's across the country cancelled, the cowboys are looking for venues to gain points in the standings.  There were several champion cowboys in most of the events.  Bull riding started off the evening & a second round of riders, for the finale.  The only disappointment - for me anyway - was the barrel racing.  I think there were only four riders.

Amazingly, two of the bucking horses went down with their riders!  Then, to the shock of all watching, one of the pickup horses went down!  Neither horses or riders were hurt - but not something you want to see.

Every person in the stands rose to their feet as the American Flags entered the arena.  Even those unable to stand - were assisted to their feet.  No taking a knee here!  (A disgusting practice I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.)  The announcer mentioned maybe we should be sending a couple of the pickup men to Portland & give the rioters a taste of the Cowboy Way!  That comment received resounding applause.
Sunset~
I found a few of the cowboy's horses tied, waiting.  I couldn't help myself, but went up to my favorite & gave him some itches, under his jaw.  How badly I wanted to mount up & ride off into that sunset - toward WA & Farah of course :-)

So very nice to have some normalcy in our ever changing world...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~