March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, July 27, 2020

Speedy was Bad...

Almost an inch of rain last night!  We woke to a beautiful morning!  Fairly cool & with the humidity not quite as high as it has been.  I didn't plan to ride, Speedy had a rear brake that had been sticking.  But, after washing the vinyl siding under the back deck - it was only noon & wanted to go.
First stop~
I called Butch, told him to expect me & drove to Silver City.  Mari Jo's Cycle shop is closed on Mondays - so she can ride.  I parked & once I was on the trail, realized the humidity had climbed.  It  felt like I was peddling in 7th gear, uphill!  No fun at all & no breeze either...
The Beavers are holding their own~
I stopped I don't know how many times to try to adjust the break pad away from the rim.  About half-way - I saw a rider coming toward me - Mari Jo!  We stopped in the middle of the trail, both of us dripping sweat.  When I explained Speedy's problem, she pulled out her multi-purpose tool & tried to loosen the pad.  We spend several minutes trying to resolve the issue without much success.   She invited me to join her & turn back to Silver City, but I'm stubborn & told her I planned to get to Agriland - one way or the other!
On the Trestle
The trail was again sticky.  Malvern had received over an inch of rain.  The butterflies are still everywhere, one even flew under the visor I was wearing.
Speedy sniffing ditch weed :-)
It was the other!  I was exhausted by the time I reached Agriland.  I'd tried to reach down & move the break pad every time it hung up.  I told Butch I was giving up on making the return trip.  He started working on Speedy & before long, had the brakes re-adjusted & working.  The rear tire was spinning free!  We shared a cold coke.
Back on the trail - in the shade~
The short break revived me - so I decided to buck up & ride back.  Peddling was So much easier!  The temperature continued to climb - the day's heat doesn't usually peak until around 5 p.m.
Speedy & yellow flowers~
I was back at the Bronco just ahead of Butch.  My time was only ten-minutes longer than usual for the 17-miles.  I appreciated him lifting Speedy up onto the rack - I'd burned some energy on this ride for sure!  We enjoyed our usual weekly dinner at Tobey Jacks.  They have super Monday night specials.  Now, I'm going to hope for another cooler day this week.  The forecast shows the temperatures moderating, but not the humidity.  I may have to wait another month for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~