March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Butterfly Blizzard!

Back to the great outdoors!  Another warm day - warm - mid 80's - way better than hot!  I was looking forward to a ride, but not too long, after a couple days on the road.  I drove to Agriland, parked the Bronco & asked Butch to pick me up in Imogene.
South of Malvern~
 It is cooler in the shade, but with the trail damp & sticky, the humidity was again, very high.  At least when you're cruising along at about 8-mph., the breeze makes it tolerable.
Coming out into the open~
 I've done this section one other time & remembered most of the route.  Once I was out there & working - I was very glad I'd decided against the round-trip.
Grape Vines!
 The native grape vines have taken over this entire hillside!  I have yet to try the fruit - maybe later this summer.
Speedy~
 The corn on the other hand, is getting huge!  It's a little way off the trail here, but in places it's growing along both sides of the trial & so tall it totally blocks most of what breeze there may be.
White Cloud Railroad trestle - over the W. Nishnabotna River ~
 It was a relief to get to the trestle.  There & could appreciate the little bit of breeze coming off the water, drink & take another electrolyte.
The River~
 On past the river, is the longest wood bridge on this section of the trail.  Scenic - I stopped again in the shade.  It was a typical Iowa late July day.
On the bridge~
 Not too many miles further, is a dirt grade B road.  It still looked a little muddy.  I did what's become my usual routine - walked Speedy lightly across.  Speedy's tires aren't wide & are not narrow, so they usually do just fine.

All I could see ahead - on the dirt - was butterflies!  Yellow, blue & Painted Ladies!  The yellow butterflies stayed together as did the blue.  The Painted Ladies on the other hand - were everywhere!  I realized my going through would spook them, so setting the camera to video, I continued down the trail.  In seconds, the air was filled with butterflies!  Such a unique experience - especially without much depth perception!
Tree down~
 Just a few miles from Imogene, a big tree was down...  I'm always sad to see any really large tree go down - anywhere.  A big healthy tree - uprooted by the wind.  I walked Speedy under the branches - where someone had broken a few off.
Arriving in Imogene - two large groups of riders were getting ready to leave.  There was a huge older bus, I think must have provided transportation for some.  One group heading south, the larger, north.  I was ever so glad to be off the trail.  I'm spoiled, having it to myself most days.
Imogene~
 Pulling in at 4:35, it had taken us just a few minutes over two-hours to travel the 14-miles.  I was surprised at my time, considering the stops I'd made.  Butch was coming for us at 5, so I sat on the side of a big metal roller to wait.  The picnic table area was still full of the biking group.
Electra~
I have to mention, how happy I am with Speedy.  Electra still makes a fine bike.  Fun to ride, easy to handle & as Butch found out, easy to work on.  I've been happy to find at least one day a week to date, where the weather isn't too miserable to ride.  I'm really looking forward to the cooler weather of fall & even riding in the winter.  I may be pulling out my riding thermals after all!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~