March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Across the Stilly to Tin Bridge~

Another smoky day.  Early morning, it was just damp enough to seem like fog.  Scott told me we'd be leaving from a friend's farm.  The owner stopped by as we were saddling up & admired Farah, saying she knew a person, interested in talking with me.  A call would be made to make arrangements.  Our revised plan at this point, was to leave tomorrow for the eastside, so time was running out.

Just a short distance away, was access to the tree farm.   Once we passed the gate, our goal was the to me "old" trail to the river.  This particular trail had been out of commission, when I was still riding here.  It had been a nasty, muddy, bog most of the year, almost unridable.  Many a shoe had been lost going through it.  In the past year or so, water bars had been added.  The cottonwood limbs were chain sawed & the trail to the river re-opened!
Barb on Rio, Scott on Kelly~
The color of the days has remained the same.  A strange somewhat pinkish/gray.  Far from the beautiful blue skies I'd hoped to enjoy.  Riding again today, I wasn't sore at all!  Of course we've just been walking, doing little more than the horses would be doing if they were home.
At Harvey Creek~
The creek was at the lowest level I can ever remember seeing it.  Just enough water the horses could cool their feet.  I - of course - just enjoyed crystal clear water - running over rock.  Both are at a premium in Iowa.  Only up in northern IA, have I seen a similar creek.  Our Tinkle Branch Creek, has a soil bed, no rock & only when we haven't had rain for weeks, runs clear.
Into the Cottonwoods~
Once we were on the forested trails, we could almost ignore the foggy smoke.  I again enjoyed immersing myself in the calming shades of green.  Farah never missed a beat.  Riding her smooth as silk stride gives me so much pleasure.
Farah views the river~
We took the twisty trail dropping down the hill!  I can't say how impressed I was, with the hours of trail clearing to complete this project.  Our first view of the Stillaguamish was a shocker!  Again - water levels were So Low!  Soon the Salmon should be running - I sure hope we get some rain before then!

We rode a way along the bank, before Barb found the spot where we would cross over.  Even low, there are some deep areas with a good current we wanted to avoid!  Scott reminded me to stay behind him & not get off course.  With my vertigo, I followed his lead.  Farah stepped right in, the water came up to her belly.  Riding a long-legged mare has it's benefits!  :-)
View of Tin Bridge from the south~
Splish/ Splash - we were across!  This was this was the first time I'd seen Tin Bridge from this direction!  Farah & I have always claimed ownership to Tin Bridge.  Our favorite from our earliest rides together, even before the chain link was installed.
Bridge #1 on the Whitehorse Trail~
We tied the horses to convenient logs & sat down for lunch!
Only Japanese Knotweed - which Farah thankfully ignored.
The sound of the river was so soothing.  Looking toward the bridge, I spotted a good sized Bald Eagle!  He flew over the bridge & right over our heads!  A younger bird, with luck, soon the adults will be coming to fish.
Farah helps clear trail :-)
I had to ask - almost sure there was a way to cut up to the trail on our side of the river & of course make a loop - to include crossing the bridge.
Scott ponying Rio~
Barb walked ahead of us, clearing a path through the heavy growth!  I felt useless - no equipment to help her!  Farah - though - did her best!  :-)  The Reed Canary Grass is one of her very favorites & she was grabbing it by huge mouthfuls!

Barb re-mounted once we reached the edge of the hay field.  We spaced out before letting each horse tackle the steep, short uphill to the Whitehorse trail.  Farah - of course lifted us up so smoothly - I hardly moved in the saddle.

We crossed over once, I couldn't get the right button on the phone to video.  So, I turned back & we crossed again - just so I could record another memory.  I love the sound of her hooves on the boards.  (The YouTube video isn't showing up on phones?)

Back into the lush green - one of my favorite areas of the farm, even if it's not exactly where we're supposed to be...  The three of us reiterated more than once - the horrible consequences - if the owners of the privately owned tracts of tree farm property - decided to close them to the public.  It would change the face of horseback riding forever in western, WA...
On our way back~
My view has changed just a bit.  Farah has never looked good with a bridle path...  At least it will grow out!  We were out about 3-hours, the horses hadn't broken a sweat, we didn't want them to.
Our Route~
Back a the farm, a woman came walking toward us & introduced herself.  She sat on the trailer fender & watched as I untacked Farah.  Quiet & totally unassuming - she told me something of herself & her history with horses.   I told her of Farah & our history together.  She had been looking for a horse that would go on trails alone, without success.  Of course, that's what Farah & I have always enjoyed most.  We talked for quite a while.

Arrangements were agreed upon - while Farah listened...  Debi watched as we quietly loaded all three horses.  I tossed the lead over Farah's back & she loaded herself.  Debi commented on how incredibly well behaved our horses were.  Tomorrow, we'd meet again & the exchange would take place.  As Farah nuzzled me, her parting words were;  "That mare loves you..."

We returned to Scott & Barb's.  I again brushed Farah & walked her around on her lead, letting her graze while I spoke to Butch.  To say it was a tough evening & tougher night is an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~