March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, September 14, 2020

Happy Again!

 Monday morning came.  Linda still had all of Farah's things in her trailer, so arrived early to pick us up.  The drive to Farah's new home was blessedly shorter than the long trip we'd planned to the eastside.

Debi had asked to purchase Farah outright. One of the reason's I agreed, was her wish to keep Farah on the same exact program, she had been on with us.  (Dean's program.)  She also asked to purchase all of Farah's tack.  Astute enough to realize - there was no reason to mess with success.  We're close to the same size, my saddle fit her well.  She had just purchased a Saddleright pad, so now will have two to switch out.  Having used the Mylar Combination bit on her other horse, she was happy to find I used the same & of course Farah works best in it.

The first thing Debi mentioned - I would be welcome to come & ride Farah anytime.  With access to trails, I won't even have to trailer.  Debi's concern, is for Farah's on-going soundness & happiness.  She will be to Debi, as she's been to me all these years, her #1 priority.  (I think there was a bit of collusion between my friends.)  Several times over the last few day's, either Linda, Scott or Barb would say;  "We need Farah to stay here - where you can still ride her."  If it took a sale rather than a lease to accomplish - I was willing to comply.  (Should at any time in the future, Debi be unable to continue to care for her, ownership will revert back to me.)

The changes in her program, differing methods of horse keeping, training etc. had been an on-going worry & strain on me.  Sometimes, even as badly as you might want - things just do not work out.  Having been taught by the toughest of professional horsemen - has been something of a blessing & a curse.
Linda & Debi with Farah~
Farah's new home is exceptionally well managed, safe & clean. The three of us unloaded Farah's things.  Debi wanted to watch as I gave Farah her first bath in forever.  The wash stall was huge, with a nice spray head.  The warm water felt good to us both!  The dirt rolled & rolled off in waves!  I scrubbed & scrubbed as Linda & Debi figured out who they knew in common & caught up on the last few years.
Healing~
Loose hair came off Farah's hock, showing the healing cuts from the trailer door.  I worked on her tail too - soon it will be silver again.  Once outside, it was obvious Farah was happy to be clean.  Totally relaxed, she grazed while we talked. 
Farah clean!
Debi had things to do, Linda & I met Courtney, Mason & Cassidy in town for lunch.  Afterward, Linda left for home, while Courtney & the kids wanted to go see Farah in her new surroundings.  When we arrived, we looked in the turnout where I'd left her.  No Farah?  Finally - Cassidy's sharp eyes picked out a white blaze - in the deepest shade of a big cedar tree.  Someone was fast asleep!  I'd forgotten how much Farah too, had enjoyed her alone time.  Every afternoon, when we weren't riding, she would take a nap.

I brought her up & the kids fed her cookies.  She put her muzzle on Mason's shoulder & spent several minutes sniffing in his scent.  Mason stood very still, with a huge smile on his face.  I can't help but believe she remembered him.  Helga was bringing horses up & told us we were welcome to take Farah to her nice, big, well appointed stall.  A huge stack of hay, no more nibble net!
Farah in her turnout~
Farah checked out her water, feed bucket & the hay before turning back to us for more cookies :-)  It's with a huge feeling of relief that I'll be leaving her in good hands.  After Debi's first ride, she told me riding Farah was like gliding along on the trails.  The second ride, she asked if Farah's nickname might be Ferrari?

I'm already looking forward to my next ride, on Sunday.  We'll probably be on our own.  After two-years, an on-our-own ride will be most welcome.  Hopefully next week, the smoke will clear out & views will open back up.  Linda & I are looking forward to riding some of our favorite trails.

3 comments:

  1. Horses don't ever forget anyone they've ever met: )

    Anyone needing tips on how to get a horse's tail pure white again, look me up, I'm the OCD one in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that! I think there's more than one :-)

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~