March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, September 20, 2020

On Our Own~

How sweet it was!  Our first time riding out by ourselves, since I'd sent Farah to WA, two full years ago.  The first year - we rode out with Farah's breeder, from her property.  The last year, we had to trailer to trails.  Not to complain - I'd go to the moon if it meant a ride on the gold girl.
Heading out~
 We had rain most of the day on Saturday, then received a pouring rain in Duvall that evening.  Waking yesterday to crystal clear skies, was a true gift from above!  Linda was kind enough to come by the farm with my helmet.  I'd left it in her trailer, we'd both thought we'd be riding together soon & hope to yet this week.

I finished saddling up as Linda left.  Farah & I followed her out the drive.  Riding onto the tree farm, I hoped to remember the way back out.  I took directions to reverse my Garmin tract - just in case.  I really wanted to check out the Whitehorse Trail.
Onto the Greenway~
 It was almost exactly the same distance to Tin Bridge, from the farm, as it had been from the parking area.  Farah was so funny!  On a loose rein, she hit her swinging walk & we moved out!  The minute there was a place to trot - she took the opportunity!  We cruised right up to 14-mph.  I'd almost forgotten the thrill of feeling her surge of power.
Blocked off~
 Coming to the intersection of the trails, the Whitehorse toward Arlington was still closed due to the mud slide in.  It was such a beautiful section, one I used to enjoy fairly often.  There has been a problem with people going through the gate below onto private property to access the river.
Gate to private property~
With the trail now open down to the river from the tree farm side, there's no reason to go this way.   We turned our usual way - to go over Tin Bridge.  Three people on bikes came over the bridge just before we started across.  They were disappointed the trail was closed on west.  I mentioned involvement in the Centennial Trail Coalition might be something for them to consider.
Over Tin Bridge~
I used the wide-angle on the phone camera.  It distorted the bridge, but sure looks interesting.  On the far side, on such a perfect day, we stopped to admire the views.  I still remember the first time we came this way after a change was made to round bales.  Farah thought the big white balls didn't need to be there!
On to Green Valley~
 Of course, we had to stop for lunch!  Courtney had given me some organic full size carrots & Farah enjoyed them, before turning to graze.  I - on the other hand - had forgotten any snack for me!
Farah having her lunch~
Seeing the trail wide open beyond Cloverdale farm, was a real treat.  All the years of working toward getting this trail open, is finally paying off.  The rude renter, who'd had a manufactured home on the far side, was gone, as was the manufactured.  Now just a vacant space, rapidly becoming overgrown.
West bound toward Darrington~
 As we moved on past the farthest point we'd ridden in forever, Farah perked up even more.  She loves going different places & I could tell she was as interested to see the changes as I was.
Through the "Gap"~
 The new finer grain gravel covering the old railroad ballast makes a huge difference in the footing.  I do wonder how hard it will compact over time.  Shoes are a must, but they always have been.  We were coming to one of of the most beautiful sections of the trail.  The sound of the river was so wonderful.
Farah - North Fork of the Stillaguamish River~
 There was a couple with a dog playing in the water on the far side.  We stopped to watch.  Continuing on, we crossed both bridge #2 & #3.  I would have liked to ride on to see if it was possible to cross Hwy 530.  I don't think any crossing improvements have been made yet.
Straight on toward Hwy 530~
 We continued up to 138th, before I decided to turn back.  Neither of us wanted to, but it was getting later in the afternoon & dark is coming earlier.  I also wasn't sure I'd remember the trails back to where we needed to go.
Heading Back~
 I love the light this time of day, this time of year & in this place.  Part of the reason Farah & I used to stay out so late in the day.  We'd sometimes get back just at dark, as the season progressed.

We trotted!  We galloped!  We blasted & I yelled Yippee at the sheer thrill of her amazing power & speed.  Not up to what had been her very high level of fitness, she still gave me as much as I could have asked for.

I gave her, her head, just to see which way she would go.  I surprised myself in remembering more than I thought I would.  As we came to the last few turns, there was twice she wanted to go the wrong direction.  I think more because she wanted to stay out longer, than anything.
Our Route~
I dismounted at the gate to the farm.  I'd walked a few times, out on the trail too, just to loosen up.
Farah~
Back at the farm, I unsaddled Farah & gave her a short bath.   Too tired to argue over washing her face, I'll leave that to Debi.  :-)   It's so sweet to use the big nice wash stall & have her clean again.  She did let me do a little more around her udder.  Before long, she'll be used to it again.  The tail is gradually lightening.  I hope to find time to pick up some bluing while I'm here.

I have to thank Mel for an excellent shoeing job!  I didn't hear one click, nor did Farah have any difficulty at any speed!  Really wonderful for a farrier's first shoeing!  Thank you, so very much to Debi too, for sharing Farah with me!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got to ride out just the two of you, it really is a special time. And that Farah has found a good sounding situation, especially if you can still ride when you visit!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~