March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, September 11, 2020

Extraction~

 Up early, daughter Courtney took me first, to the Grateful Bread.  Cinnamon roll in hand, we continued to Tractor Supply in Monroe, where we met Linda with her truck & trailer. We arrived to pick up Farah on time.  She'd been moved to a different stall & when she saw me, she knew something was up.  Linda & I loaded the storage boxes with Farah's blankets.  (Courtney had picked up my saddle a day earlier - withstanding a non-stop verbal barrage.)  I looked through Farah's tote, full of brushes I'd never seen.  I removed them & only took what was left of mine - all I'd marked with Farah's name my last visit, when I'd had to look in every other horse's tote to find them.

I'd been told if I did not share Farah's destination, her medical records for the last year would not be released.  Since no lessee can withhold medical records - I had to make more calls than I can count to Pilchuck Veterinary Clinic - to get this straightened out.  A clinic I will never use again.  I had gone in last year & made it clear my mare was on a care/lease.  Somehow, over the last twelve months, my name had been replaced on her records & the lessee shown as owner.   (When I originally purchased Farah, it had taken me months to clear her registration.)

Now, I found myself again going through an unnecessary, time-consuming reiteration of ownership.  This also explained why - when I found out about Farah's trailer loading injury & called for a Vet to check her, they refused to go.  I was told there was no need.  I'd plainly explained I would pay the emergency fee of $175.  Any request from me was ignored.  I'd pleaded Farah just be hosed & walked until I arrived.  Instead, she had been lounged & ridden in the arena.  Talk about feeling helpless...  Especially from 1,700 miles away.
North Bound - Hwy 9
On our way~
Farah loaded right in; we couldn't get on the road quickly enough. Once underway, I felt a huge sense of relief. Back north, friends had invited us to stay, ride & relax for a couple days. Farah was unhappy with me. Leaving horses who'd she'd become familiar with, I'm sure it seemed to her, every time I show up, she has to move.
Farah - smoke filtered sun~
By evening, as we all sat out talking, we could see her demeanor change.  She began to relax, recognizing our old friends & their horses too.  We'd been camping, riding & had enjoyed many good times together.

When I'd asked, Farah's shoeing was at five-weeks.  I'd planned to remove them, once she was at her new destination, on the dry east side of WA.  I'd been incredibly unhappy at the farrier work she'd received & repeatedly asked for a change back to the farrier I'd used.  All to no avail.  Just the day before I left home, I received a text telling me the shoes had been pulled & her feet left untrimmed.  Turnouts were 5/8ths gravel, I cringed - barefoot & gravel are not a good combination.  I made calls trying to find a farrier who could come on such short notice.  I'd really hoped to get in a ride.  Desperate, I thought of an old riding friend who I remembered had, at least at one time, done farrier work.  I messaged Mel & she arranged her schedule to make time for Farah on Sat.
The worst of her unbalanced feet~
I woke early Sat. morning - back to doing horse chores felt SO Good!  I stood & watched Farah eat her breakfast.  Mel found her way to the farm without a problem & was thankful Farah's hooves were left untrimmed.  It gave her the ability to correct the now obvious lateral/medial imbalances.  As you can see from the photo above, there are numerous problems to correct.  White line was beginning to develop & small rocks were imbedded too.

Farah was fine with her front feet, but very nervous as Mel worked on the rear.  Mel took the time to pet & comfort her.  As Mel said;  "She's not being mean, she's just very worried."  This made us think she'd experienced discomfort during previous shoeing's.  It took quite a while to get the job done.  (Mel too, noticed a weakening of Farah's topline & reduction of muscle definition from earlier days.)  We turned her out in the large round pen & watched as she stalked around adjusting to the new shoes & change in balance.  It wasn't long before we could all notice the swing was returning to her hips.  Her stride lengthened, head dropped, neck stretched out & her relaxation was obvious.  I asked Mel about whether I could ride & we all agreed a walking ride would do her good. 

While holding her for Mel, Farah began to bond with me again.  I was forgiven & I can't tell you how that made me feel...  Mel's kindness in making time for us too - was so appreciated.  

4 comments:

Always Welcome~