March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Speedy's First LD~

(LD is short for Limited Distance - an equestrian endurance term for any ride of 25-35 miles.)
After days of what felt like frigid cold, today was supposed to be the warmest of the week, without much wind.  Perfect for my first trail ride on Speedy!
Ready to leave the Mineola Trail-head~
The high temperature of the day was to be maybe 50, mid to late afternoon.  Now I know about how long it takes me to cover distance, I decided to get on the trail by 2 p.m.  I had four-miles to travel to Silver City.  About 1/2 of it up & the second half a down grade.  Butch & I had done this section last year.
To the concrete, almost to Silver City~
I was so impressed with Speedy!  A learning experience, figuring out what gears to use & not stopping when I was in 7th!  Whatever was easier on my knees is what worked.  The downhill grade was fun & we made it up to 16.5!  :-)
Entering Silver City
Speedy had a couple annoying small rattles.  I got off a couple times to see if I could stop them.  We picked up one stick in the front spokes, making enough racket to start a far off dog barking.
No more large gathering of bike riders!
I made a short stop here, just to see what the sign said.  After the group Butch & I saw here a couple weekends ago, I wasn't surprised.
Speedy wanted a photo here too!  :-)
Next, the eight-mile stretch to Malvern.  We were making great time - there wasn't much wind!  I heard a familiar sound just in time to see a pheasant take to the air!  At the bridge over the pretty creek, a Great Blue Heron took flight!  He was too quick for me to catch his photo.
Better view of all the rail cars~
I want to ask our DNR representative what the rail car thing is all about.  Erosion control I'm sure will be the answer, but what a ugly way to do it.  Cheap for the rail companies though.
Concrete, close to Malvern~
The next concrete we came to, I knew we were getting close to Malvern!  Butch was expecting us.  My original plan was to stay there until he got off work & hitch a ride back to Minneola.  But, after a sort rest stop, I decided to ride Speedy at least as far back as Silver City.
Leaving Butch's shop at 3:50 p.m.- Agriland!
We made a plan!  I told Butch it would take me about an hour or so - to get back to Silver City.  If I wasn't there when he arrived, he should go on to Mineola & meet me for take out from Tobey Jacks!
The return, back at the Trestle over Silver Creek~
I stopped for a short break just before the trestle.  My right knee wasn't too happy, I tried to stretch it out a little.  Shortly after we'd crossed this bridge, we came to a small gravel road crossing, where a car was parked off to the side.  Two ladies were standing about 500 ft. from the vehicle, looking down the trail.  One was ever so pregnant!  The older of the two women waved me down as I rode up & said; "Will you please find the kids, on down the trail & tell them to come back!  Their mother is in labor!"  Wow! Far ahead, I could just see two kids!  As I closed the gap - they saw me - but continued running down the trail - away from their mother!  I caught up to them & told them to head back!  They yelled;  "Can you tell Bella?"  I replied I sure could, when I found her!  I kept up my speed & in another mile, saw a girl on a bike!  I asked;  "Are you Bella?"  She replied in the affirmative & I sent her on her way back!  My excitement for the day :-)
Interesting bridge support?
I have to wonder at the history of this particular bridge?  Where horsemen ever allowed on this section of the trail?  Or were they just being hopeful they would be?  I kept moving, not wanting to be late getting into Silver City, I was looking forward to being picked up!
5:03 - Waiting for our ride?
I noticed my Garmin had stopped buzzing off the miles?  When I checked, it was only showing 17.4 miles & by that time I'd gone just over twenty!  It displayed my time on the trail, but nothing else :-(  I've had it for so very many years & had sent it in for repairs probably at least 7-years ago.  They no longer make the Forerunner 310 XT.  It ties in with Farah's heart monitor, so I sure hope it can be fixed!

I'd taken just over an hour to go the eight miles from Butch's shop.  I expected him somewhere between 5 & 5:30 at the latest.  It was getting cold by now!  I only had a thermal top & polar fleece vest.  By 5:35, still no husband :-(  What to do?  Well, buck up & ride - that's what!  Four-miles more & I'd be back at the Bronco in Mineola.  I knew the first two would be uphill & didn't look forward to that!  Speedy though - with all those gears really helped!  Once I hit the crest & started the downhill, we we flying!
Back at Mineola!  25-miles!
We crossed the last bridge, boards rattling with our speed.  On the far side of the paved road - there Butch was!  Well!!!  He'd made a stop/go at Silver City, just before 5!  Why didn't you wait a few minutes - I asked him?!  "Didn't you know it would take me an hour?!"  He explained he thought I'd be traveling faster with Speedy!  :-)  Right!  Not that much faster after going that far!

We walked back to the trucks.  It was a beautiful evening - I forgave him :-)  Once at Tobey Jacks, we picked up pork loin sandwiches, on toasted buns, with a few famous onion rings thrown in!  We sat at a picnic tables near the overflow parking, still in the sun.  I inhaled dinner while we watched the sun drop to the horizon.  Beautiful end to a great ride!

1 comment:

  1. I know it was only an LD but I still think you need a basket! I just got my first ebike, my first bike in Germany, and it came with a doggie basket up front. Designed for a dog that cannot keep up with a bike, it has a padded floor and little clip for the collar. I use it for groceries but I'm pretty unsteady on the bike, esp with so much weight up there. My very first ride I learned how freaking cold bike riding is, the wind went right through my polarfleece.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~