March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, May 28, 2021

Catching up to Myself ~

 A very rare weather day for the end of May in Iowa!  Cloudy & cool - in the low 50's - just as the weatherman had predicted.

Butch took off work, to help me pick up Speedy from the Bike Rack, where she was packaged for shipment.  He loaded the big box into the Explorer & we delivered it to UPS in Council Bluffs.  Speedy is moving to MA!  I'll miss her, but Breezy has done a nice job of carrying me a little faster & easier on the trails.

Speedy leaves home~
  We picked up a sandwich at Runza, before Butch dropped me off at the north trailhead of the Wabash.  It was chilly!  I'd worn just a zippered hoody over a t-shirt, but brought my windbreaker!  

1:36 p.m. - on the trail~

With the breeze from riding, I stopped within a mile to put the windbreaker over my hoody!  The only person I'm competing against these days - is me!  I have all last season's ride stats on Garmin Connect to refer to.  When I decide on a section of the trail, as the months of my recovery have gone by, I compare my rides now, to the before rides.

Walter Scott Jr. Energy Center~
Of course, that doesn't keep me from stopping for pictures! Again, I was reminded of a typical Western, WA day. I was almost wishing I'd worn my thermal pants. It's a six-mile uphill grade out of Council Bluffs. Just a long grind. Once we were out in the country, I stopped on the bridge I enjoy for the nice view.
On the bridge~
I was ready to be done with the climb, knowing I had to be getting close to Dumfires.  I couldn't help but notice a brightly colored, new sign along the trail.  
Breezy by the Sign! 
Four-miles to Mineola, which meant Margaritaville had to be right around the corner.  I'd reached the crest of the climb!  Riding into the bike party area, I had another surprise.  My last visit in late April, I'd seen pilings in place for something...  The something had become a Cabana~ 
2:28 p.m. A new party cabana?
I'm thinking this must have been a donation of private funds, since there are so many bridges on the trail in need of repair?  Margaritaville has quite the reputation with the homes neighboring this particular area.  Trash bins full of beer cans tell the tale...
View from under the cover~
Situated with a nice view of the countryside, I'm sure it will get a lot of use! I'd only seen one other rider on the trail. He'd been heading the other direction to fast to respond to my "Hi"!

Since I'd left Council Bluffs a little late - I wanted to keep moving & looked forward to those next four-miles of downhill! Breezy breezed & yes it was a cold breeze! :-)
2:51 p.m. coming in to Mineola~
Such a fun part of the trail!  My favorite part for sure!  I shifted all the way to my highest gear & really built up some momentum.  I didn't stop, except to take a drink of my water & an electrolyte.  I'd need the energy for the next, uphill climb to the crest of the hill,  half-way to Silver City.  I was tempted to stop more than once, but didn't.  The top did come & with it the smooth concrete.
3:27 p.m.  The new bridge!
I planned a short break at Happy Trails.  Mari Jo was outside when I rolled in.  She is 100% sure now -  I'm a bit daft!  :-)  I went in long enough to warm up a little.  As Mari Jo looked up at the ominous dark clouds, her parting words were;  "You've just 8-miles to go!"
4:03 p.m. Leaving Silver City~
The fields have turned pale green after our most welcome rain!  I stopped & put my windbreaker back on!  I planned to be at Agriland no later than 5 & that's when Butch was expecting me!
4:31 p.m. On the Trestle~
I took another short break, the windbreaker came off!  I was working hard enough to be warmed up.  I also found a bite sized chocolate candy in my pack!  

Breezy & I really moved out on the last stretch of our ride.  Once we were on the concrete outside Malvern, I again moved right up to my highest gear & built up momentum.  I could see Butch's shop door still partly open!

The roads by the shop have been recently graveled, that slowed us down...  Once inside the door, I saw the Explorer & my husband waiting!  I'd pulled in just two-minutes before five!
Breezy & I deserved a ride home!
We finished the 22.22 mile ride with a moving time of 2:39 hours & total time of 2:57 hours.  Our moving speed of 8.4 was up a full mile-an-hour over my April ride.  I'd like to attribute the improvement to my leg's continued healing, rather than the new bike.  Just a little way to go - to match my fastest time from last season.  I was tired!  Breezy was fine!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~