March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 - In Review~

Our fourth year in Iowa, January started out mild & beautiful.
Butch's first project of the new year, was to remove the sheetrock off the largest wall in our living room.  He added framing & insulation before installing new paneling, travertine tile & an electric fireplace.  The room looks so much nicer with a feature wall.  
New Years Sunrise~

The snow & cold came mid-month. By the end of January, I made the first of two-trips to Washington.  February in the Pacific NW, usually boasts a week or two of good weather. This year though, was very wet with rain almost every day. The Snoqualmie Valley was completely flooded & Duvall's water treatment plant was maxed out.
2-3-20 Riding at Bracken~
The weather did cooperate enough, I managed to get in some fine rides on Farah.  When I'm with her, it seems like just yesterday, rather than month's, since we've been together.  Our first ride, was at the Bracken Tree farm. The woods, ferns & moss seem so lush to me now!
2-9-2020 West Coast of Whidbey Is.  Ft. Ebey~
One weekend, David was golfing, so Courtney, Mason, Cassidy & I took the Mukilteo Ferry to Whidbey Island.  We shopped, enjoyed fresh seafood for lunch & combed the beach at Ft. Ebey. The rain held off until late in the afternoon, giving us enough time to hunt for agates & wish rocks. We left with full buckets!
2-10-2020 At the Monument~
On my 69th birthday, I was riding Farah! We trailered to the Victoria track of the tree farm, to meet-up with our old riding buddies Charlotte & Fancy. Afterward, Linda met us too. Our little group celebrated my birthday, with dinner in Arlington.  The visit was too short, as usual.  I missed getting to see our youngest daughter's family in Oregon.
3-1-2020 Butch feeding the chipper~
Arriving home to Iowa sunshine, was wonderful.  Late winter was mild & dry.  The end of the month, Butch rented a chipper.  We spent the weekend chipping all the dried stacks of invasive Honeysuckle & Autumn Olive.  The work resulted in enough mulch to cover the ground along the edge of the woods & part of one trail.
4-1-2020 Sunny on the Wabash Trace~
April first, I decided it was time to get back on my bike!  We are so lucky to have the Wabash Trace close.  My first ride was from Agriland to Silver City, eight miles.  A misunderstanding & no cell service turned my ride into a round-trip of eighteen miles!  A stiff wind didn't make it any easier!  With only three gears on Sunny (An Electra 3i) & balloon tires, the ride was longer than I'd planned!
4-15-2020 My new bike!  Speedy~
Butch suggested we go bike shopping!  Speedy is my new Electra 7d, an updated version of Sunny.  (It's a shame these bikes are no longer made in the USA.  The company was sold to Trek.)  Seven gears, smaller profile tires & lighter weight.  We added fenders & I bought a few needed accessories.  Speedy & I were on the trail two or three times a week.  My longest ride, was a round-trip of 24-miles, from Malvern to Imogene.
5-9-2020 City Sign
In May,  with funding provided by the Glenwood Garden Club, Butch took on the task of removing all the weeds & old overgrown plantings from around the city sign.  We planted new rug junipers - for a  low growing ground cover & applied fresh mulch.  Red day lilies will add summer color.
6-23-2020 Trail Signs~
June, I finished painting the trail signs for the woods.  Butch planted the posts & the trails now have names.  Thanks to several friends, especially Clara, I planted many, many starts of ferns, hosta's & sedums.  With such a dry year, watering was non-stop.  I lost almost half of the P.J.M Rhododendron's I'd planted in the spring.  The moles continually dug under them, leaving the roots bare of soil.
7-19-2020 Badlands~
Mid-July, after our visit with family in Sheridan, WY, we drove through Badlands National Park.  An opportunity to fly in a Helicopter is one we never pass up.  Since the pilot's wife was hiking & no one was waiting - we enjoyed an extended flight to find her! 
8-3-2020 Todd & Butch, planting the island~
August, was summertime hot.  Butch volunteered to help dig up a island, in the middle of the parking area, at Glenwood Lake Park.  With monetary donations from Sugar Makery & plants from Hillsdale Lily Gardens, the island will be a show stopper next year.
9-20-2020  Late afternoon~
September, I flew to Washington for the second time.  I needed to move Farah yet again.  This time, to what I hope will be her forever home.  The first week, we stayed with friends & enjoyed some quality, if smoky riding.  Thankfully, I had Farah settled in with her new owner, before the ride that resulted in my injury.
9-22-2020 "Bridge" & leg~
I had a total dislike of this bridge for many years & always refused to ride across it.  This day, I didn't recognize where we were.  When I did, wasn't smart enough to turn back.  Instead, I decided to dismount & lead Farah across.  The result of  that decision - sent me to Skagit Valley Hospital with a shattered tibial plateau.  
10-01-2020 At daughter Courtney's~
What was to be a two-week visit - was extended by six additional weeks. I'm so Very Thankful for our daughter Courtney, son-in-law David & grandkids Mason & Cassidy!  They took excellent care of me during my convalescence.   I was so happy when daughter Jentry brought Skyla & Josie up to see me!  How they could grow so fast - in such a short amount of time - is a mystery!  The Doctor's cleared me to fly home, after my six-week checkup.  By then, I'd missed our 37th Anniversary :-(
11-18-2020 New Owls~
The first week of November, I flew home!  After weeks of rainy WA weather, the sunshine & warmer than normal temperatures were welcome.  I sat out on the back deck with Nika most afternoons.  Thanksgiving was a quiet one, just the two of us, at home.

The remainder of my year has revolved around physical therapy, exercising at home & the YMCA.  At eleven-weeks, I no longer had to use the walker.   My goal remains to be riding my bike by spring!
12-25-2020 Christmas gift from daughter Jentry~
2020 is a year most of us would like to forget.  So much sadness, so many who have lost loved ones.  Seniors suffering in isolation from their families & many kids unable to attend school.  The list goes on...

The virus has made us appreciate all the more - the many things we've always taken for granted.
Together - we pray for the success of the vaccine.  Just in my lifetime, other vaccines eradicated measles, small pox & polio to name a few.  Praying - this one will be as successful!


Happy New Year! 2021~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~