March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Bikin' the Wabash ~

After last Thursday's snow storm, the weather quickly tuned back to spring!  The weekend was just incredible - a solid ten - in my book anyway!

Butch agreed to tackle a couple special projects for me.  The first, was to plant several 4x4 posts, for trail signs in the timber.  I first had this idea back when we were laying out trails in our Washington woods.  They help delineate the trails & add to the look of a woodland garden.  I have a couple new ideas for the one's we'll have here.  Butch will make the signs out of cedar, I'll be designing the lettering & painting them.
3-2-2010  Homestead Trails~
I'll post a photo of the second project when it's complete.  It took a trip to Home Depot on Sat. & a wait in the line required now, before you can enter the store.  It was also more work than I'd remembered!  Of course Grandson Ben was just a little tike last time Butch did this job.

It was late afternoon on Sun. before Butch loaded our bikes & we left for the Mineola trailhead of the Wabash Trace.
Bridge over Keg Creek~
The first & only time I'd been on this section of the trail, toward Council Bluff's from Mineola, was when Farah & I did it in February of 2017.  We had to squeeze the Bronco in between two cars, the trail parking lot was full to overflowing!  Everyone with the same idea.
The bridge~
This bridge had given both Farah & I a pause - the decking looked almost like metal & it made a much different sound than I'd expected.  I was glad Farah didn't have shoes!  On the bikes though - no problem.
Butch at Cowboy Pass!
We soon figured out it doesn't make any difference which way you leave from Mineola, both are uphill!  This direction, I think it's probably mostly an uphill grade all the way to Council Bluffs.  Since Farah & I were on the horse trail up on the hillsides, I didn't pay any attention.  I'm going to try it as my next solo excursion.
As we come to Margaritaville~ 
After four-miles, we arrived at Margaritaville.  There were a few changes here since the last time Farah & I had stopped for our lunch before returning back to Council Bluffs.  From this point on the six-miles to CB is open to horses.
The hitching post~
The hitching post is now used to chain up garbage cans...  It would not be available for horsemen to use & I plan to ask why?!
Speedy poses~
There was also a new statue - a tribute to someone who does a lot of barbequing for the bike riders I guess...  A nice swing had been added, up on the hillside, facing the sun.  Butch & I sat for a while, enjoying the late afternoon, before turning back.

 I knew Butch would enjoy the return trip more than he had  the way out!  It was all a downhill grade!  I tried doing a one-handed video & it looks like we're speeding right along!  (I don't know what's up with the quality from YouTube.)  You can just hear an annoying squeak I'm going to figure out!  Now, I understand the need for even more gears.  I was in seventh & going too fast to peddle.  But, it's not like I'd use those gears very often.
Coming back to the Mineola Trailhead~
This was the first time we'd run into so many riders, but even then, it wasn't anywhere near crowded.  Most were polite.  Butch completed the eight miles in good form, even after not riding for months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~