March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, April 4, 2020

New Wheels!

Growing up in Boulder, the first big item I remember wanting - besides a horse - was a bike!  I think my Schwinn was a gift for my tenth birthday, but I can't find a photo to confirm.  Dad taught me to ride in the paved ally behind our house on 9th street.  It was a straight shot to North Boulder Park, where I occasionally signed up for summer craft classes.  It was also a great park for kite flying!
Connie & Blue, Boulder, CO
 In short order I was riding to the library, where I borrowed & read every book on horses I could find. There was a huge hill between our house & town.  I'd make it all the way to the top, before the fun of coasting the rest of the way.  Dad worked at the Pontiac garage.  The building had a ramp from street level, down to the service entrance in basement.  Dad would have the door up - I'd fly down the last hill - turn onto the ramp & right down into the building!  Blue & I had some amazing rides.  My bike stayed at home when I married...  My brother took it apart & I never saw it again...
3-16-13 Connie & Sunny on the Haller Trestle Bridge, Arlington, WA
It was many, many, years later I thought about getting another bike.  I was involved with the Centennial Trail Coalition, originally as the Equestrian Representative & eventually as Chairman.  I'd had another of my ideas - to ride the 30-mile trail point-to-point - on Farah.  ( Horses had been excluded from the sections going through towns.)  Butch bought a bike too & we started riding the trail through the towns, to see if Farah & I could pull it off.  We did!  With Butch's help, just two weeks later.
3-23-13 Butch & the bikes
Being a paved trail, we bought cruiser style Electra bikes.  We both loved the old-fashioned style & comfort of the ride.  Soon, we had Grandson Ben riding with us!  We had fun camping trips riding bikes with the Peter's family too!  When we moved to IA, the bikes came, even though they took up a lot of room.

Last Easter we rode from Mineola to Silver City & found the limestone to be more of a workout than paving.  I only rode around locally last year, I was spending most of my time working outside.  This season though, I've been missing Farah, missing my time out in nature & decided I'd be falling back on a bike for locomotion.

After my first solo ride, longer than I'd expected, I called Electra.  They couldn't believe that I'd ridden my 3-speed model that distance on limestone.  In the years since mine was new, they had improved the Townie & suggested I go try one out!
My new wheels, Speedy~
 Xtreme Wheels had a lot of bikes, but only one Electra Townie.  Lucky for me, it was the model I was interested in.  Zack offered to let me take it for a spin.  (It was somewhat reminiscent of the first time I rode Farah.)  I got on, rode around the bank parking lot & came back to Butch with a smile on my face!  The difference was incredible - lighter - nimbler - easier to turn & the gearing was so smooth!

Butch - staying a step ahead of me as usual - had loaded Sunny in the back of the truck.  We traded Sunny in.  Had I known about the bike shortage, I might have tried to sell her myself.  I kept my saddle, added fenders, tire liners & a small gear bag.

If our weather ever returns to anywhere near our usual wonderful 60's - I can't wait to get back on the trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~