March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Seeing Blooms!

My first daffodils!  I planted three different varieties.  The one's below are the first to bloom. They did well even with last weeks snow & sub-zero temperatures.
4-5-20 Tete-a-Tete Daffodil~
This property, will be the last time I take on an undertaking of this size...   I've enjoyed the challenges, but I'm glad the bulk of the clearing work is over.  Now, I'm getting a better idea of the various micro climates.   Already small plants are emerging I hope to identify as native.
4-9-20 Foxy & the Daffodils
Tuesday, we tied a record for heat, dating back to 1890, at 86 degrees!  In just a few days, all the bulbs are blooming.  Some have triple blooms!  They are such a bright spot & we can see them from the deck.  The larger varieties of daffodils have broken the surface & grown a couple inches this week.  With freezing temperatures in the forecast, I hope they don't bloom too quickly!
4-5-20 New utility pole!
After Butch made the telephone pole, I had the idea for another.  The one above a telegraph pole :-)  I'm still waiting for the two brown pony insulators I ordered.  They will screw onto my last insulator side pins.  It will act as a trellis for a red Clematis!  I transplanted a ring of original day lilies around the base & look forward to those blooms.
Looking west along the creek trail~
Sunday ,the trees had yet to really show green, but today, in spite of 30-40 mph wind gusts out of the north, I see green!  It seems like such a long wait here!  Or maybe it's that I'm over anxious?

Yesterday, I had unexpected company!  Laura stopped by for a walk in the timber!  We'd just come back to the Cabin when Karen, another friend from Matt-Making drove by & stopped on the corner to talk!  Finally, two other friends came walking down our street & took me up on my offer for a walk of the property.  Jean too, contributed several plant starts from her beautiful gardens last season!
North, the transition between lawn & timber~
The transition area is looking smooth now, I have a few daffodils coming up, naked ladies & plan to transplant more orange day-lily's too, hopefully before the forecast weekend snow & cold!
View east across the floodplain-)
    The Cottonwood dominates this area now.  We dug up four Eastern Red Cedar trees from along the road & planted them.  I'd really like green out here in the winter months & fruit for the birds.  Not an ideal location, but I hope they grow.  Cardinals use them for nesting material & shelter during the harsh winter months.  Cedar Waxwings derive there name from a preference for the juniper berries.
Erythronium Albium, White Trout Lily~
I've saved the best for last!  While walking  up at the west end of the property, Laura & I found these tiny blooms!  I had seen single leaves last year & watched them, but they never flowered.  Looking in my handy - if large edition of Native Plants of the Midwest - I found them!  What amazing flowers!  They like mesic floodplain & mesic wooded slopes, both of which we have.  They don't produce flowers for up to six or as many as 30-years!  I've found two batches of them, the ones to the far west & another batch to the far east, both on flat areas up from the creek.  The few ferns I've started are just breaking ground.

Thankfully, spring has sprung!  At least until the next round of cold & snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~